Problem installing xp pro sp2 - no drivers installed after installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fixing a computer for a friend which I thought only needed xp reinstalled. She has a Dell Dimension 5100 with a sata hdd. I started getting blue screen while installing. But I took care of that. I got it to install but it went from 50 min install to a 20 min install and it said complete. XP starts up but it is missing all the drivers including the Ethernet. Everything is part of the system board like Ethernet, Video, etc. I have no way of installing the drivers. It shows up as uninstalled in Device Manager. They have the complete set of drivers on the DELL website but you have to be online with this computer to install.
I tried restalling it but same problem. I'm thinking it has something to do with the Sata hdd in which I am not familiar with.

Any suggestions?

Download the drivers off Dell's website, toss them on some form of removable media (USB flash drive, CD, DVD whatever floats your boat). Then pop that media into the troubled Dell 5100 and install the drivers.

Here is the link to the drivers again, so you don't have to go looking: http://support.dell.com/support/dow...ID=DIMENSION 5100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

You could probably get away with just installing the Ethernet drivers and running a Windows Update, but just double check the Device Manager to ensure that everything is installed.

Matthew,

I was going to download the drivers from the Dell website on my other computer but when I clicked on download it just gave me the option to install and not save. I didn't want it installed on my HP.

But I took your advice and clicked on install and then it gave me an option to save.
Everything worked out.

Thanks,
Reyes

I am fixing a computer for a friend which I thought only needed xp reinstalled. She has a Dell Dimension 5100 with a sata hdd. I started getting blue screen while installing. But I took care of that. I got it to install but it went from 50 min install to a 20 min install and it said complete. XP starts up but it is missing all the drivers including the Ethernet. Everything is part of the system board like Ethernet, Video, etc. I have no way of installing the drivers. It shows up as uninstalled in Device Manager. They have the complete set of drivers on the DELL website but you have to be online with this computer to install.
I tried restalling it but same problem. I'm thinking it has something to do with the Sata hdd in which I am not familiar with.

Any suggestions?

your issue probably has nothing to do with the sata hdd. you mentioned you had issues at first but you took care of that. What did you change.

In the Future Ask Your Friend for Resource CD

Dell dimensions come with an OEM windows XP Cd as well as a "Resource CD".

All you would need to get drivers installed after installing XP would be to insert that CD. It will automatically run, discover your system and offer to install drivers. Usually installing the Intel Chipset first is the best plan.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back