TechSpot

Problem loading XP

By Hodsocks
May 18, 2008
  1. I am hoping one of you guys can offer some words of wisdom as my poor little brain id bereft of ideas right now.
    I have a pc which was constantly rebooting, I checked the usual things and the hard drive was defective so have replaced it. I have since tried loading windows on to it but it keeps rebooting part way through copying files from the cd on to the hard drive. When I have been there watching it it seems to stop at the same file on the disc, I have used this disc on a couple of machines since this incident and have loaded XP without a problem, so assume the cd is OK.
    I have tried a new PSU, memory and cd-rom but still have the same problem with it rebooting while copying files.
    I have tried everything I can think of right now so am hoping one of you guys can figure out what is going on here.

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,257   +92

Make sure that the CD is okay, replace the data cables in your system and try another PATA/SATA host adapter if possible.

3. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 370

Thanks Zenosincks, I have replaced PATA cables, I think there were 2 other ide sockets on the mobo so will try those, see if it helps.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

There are many reports of a constant rebooting condition if you have an AMD processor and have downloaded SP-3 for WXP

5. lostboyzstang

lostboyzstang TS Rookie

im sorry for posting my original question here......im working on finding how to do a new post

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,944   +353

lostboyzstang, I suggest you post your question separately and not highjack this thread. I know it's not intentional but trying to answer two different questions in the same thread can quickly become confusing.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.