TechSpot

Problem loading XP

By aspitz
Nov 21, 2008
  1. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I have a hp pavillion a1440n. I ran restore from restore cd but had a problem that read "error cannot copy file c:\preload\base_04.inp". I had to cancel the restore and decided to reinstall from xp cd. It started to load fine.. formatted the disk ok then started installing windows. About 60% through it started giving error "file placed on hard drive is not valid win xp system image. there may be problem with win xp cd". I have a second winxp disk, and tried that one and ended up with same problem.. I have replaced the mobo, hard drive and cd reader.. same error... Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Cybelex

Cybelex TS Rookie Posts: 60

Are the CD's OK? Even small scratches can ruin them. You might also try a commercial lens cleaner for the CD-ROM.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.