Problem making adhoc HD connection to copy data

Tommygunn

I have two Western Digital 1Tb HD's which I use for archiving and are carbon copies of each other and my third installed OS HD. They are both external to my computer, in fact one came as part of a WD My Book.

Previously, I had my Asus P5Q Deluxe fitted and I could just plug the two HD's into the PSU with a spare power cable and connect them to the mobo with a couple of Sata cables and copy any data from the main installed HD or replicate data between them. No problem.

However, due to RAM issues, I have swapped the mobo out for my Asus P5W DH Deluxe. I just assumed I could go ahead with my adhoc method of plug and play HD connectivity but after shutting down my desktop, wiring in just one archive HD and powering up, the computer went a bit funny.
All the icons had shifted over to my TV display, next to my desktop, while my monitor's desktop pic got squashed vertically with vertical letterbox lines left and right, pretty much as though I had been messing with the AMD Catalyst Control Centre.

Any ideas why plugging in an HD (or two) into the spare Sata/EZ Raid sockets would cause this? Why didn't it behave like P5Q, e.g. plug & play style, or as if I had simply plugged in the HD via the USB?

One thing I forgot to check was if the HD showed up in 'My Computer' while the icons and what not were on the TV screen.

Tom.

Nevermind. I plugged the two archive HD's into the mobo today and all is fine and copying perfectly.

Tom.

Back