TechSpot

Problem mapping network drives

By ashplatoon86
Jun 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi Guys, im new to the forum so be gentle - this wont be a 1 post and leave either :)

So whats happening is im replacing a staff members computer , she has windows xp and has 4 network drives mapped, ive built her a new machine and have installed windows xp on it, and connect it up using the same network cables, how ever when i go to map the drive i get "The network path \\Fileserver1\SCHEDDAT could not be found" , yet when i re-hook up her old system and boot it up it all connect fine....so in a nut shell why does the old one connect fine , but the new build cant access the drives? i have disabled the firewall also....thanks in advance for any help offered.

Ash
  2. ashplatoon86

ashplatoon86 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok so some progress on this, if i share a drive on a local computer plugged into the same router or switch then map to it, i can connect no problems, how ever connecting to the 2 servers seems to be the issue, oddly enough also even when using the EXACT same cables that the other computer that connect fine uses, it still wont connect.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,369   +302

It sounds like you're in a Domain Controller environment.

The new system will need to JOIN the domain before you can access the fileshares.
  4. ashplatoon86

Yeah that sounds about right actually, how do you go about joining a domain then? im new to this networking business.
  5. ashplatoon86

ok intersting update, seems the servers are not domain based there all under the workgroup name "DOMAIN", I have added the pc to that work group, but it cant see the server and the server can not see the computer...again odd as i am using the same ports as the old system uses and connects fine.
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,369   +302

be sure you reboot after the workgroup name change
  7. ashplatoon86

Problem sorted, i had to manually configure the ip address of the network port on the pc, as the servers work on 2 rings - 192.168.0 and 192.168.1, the drives i needed to map were on 0 and the pc was automatically set to 1, i manually changed the i.p and hey presto, job sorted.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.