Problem Occuring initializing Direct3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I seem to have came across a problem when I Reinstalled Windows XP on my 5+ year old Desktop PC,

my PC is an HP Pavilion a635w

Windows XP Professional 08" Service Pack 3

Processors:
AMD Athlon (tm) XP 3000+
2.10 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

Dislplay Adapters:
RADEON 9600 Series

Problem:
Pretty much I've been able to bring this computer back up and running, and Everything to my knowledge works fine, After a few hours of running, it seems the computer randomly Resets or something or when I shut it down, When I turn it back on, I cannot play any of my games like Halo, Sims2, ect.

When I try to play Halo, It says: " A problem occured initializing Direct3D, Hardware Acceleration maybe Disabled, Please run DXDIAG.

Machine info: 2100MHz, 512MB, 192M ATI Radeon 9600 (ox4152)

I asked a few ppl about it and checked the DXDIAG, and in it displays everything,

DirectX Features:

DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

When I do a test on the DirectDraw, and Direct3D, the DirectDraw works fine.
However the Direct3D Accel Does not

"Test Failed at Step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic Failed)"

I got the Idea of checking the Drivers, So I found the Original Install CD for the Display Chip and tried to install the Driver and its normal installation, Doing both Caused my computer to Lockup and Freeze.. I waited about 15 to see if it was just slow, but nothing. I've Gone to ATI's website to DL the Driver, Same outcome.. I've looked for Solutions from about 7 Forums, All solutions Had no effect to my problem. The only thing that helps is Formatting the Local Drive and Reinstalling Windows.. and the problem only comes back whenever I shutdown.. So at the moment I'm totally frustrated at this problem.. if anyone Knows a way to help I would VERY much Appreciate it.

~Ayana

The re-install was for why?

You installed chipset drivers after the install before anything else?

When you run the DXDIAG agp test what info?

I had to reinstall Windows On this computer because for some reason Windows Suddenly Stopped working or maybe it was because the Harddrive died no idea which happened first but about the same time.

I Installed The Display Chip Install CD files first so that I could see it if would work this time. The computer just Completely freezes..

When I run The DXDiag, It says everything is there and is enabled, However When I test the Direct3D Accelerator, All Tests fail.

On other forums When people go to check to see if their Direct3D accel is enabled Everything in the Display section of DXDiAG, Says N/A, But with mine, Everything is there and says Enabled.. So I dont know..

This is the 9th time so far that I've Reinstalled Windows On this computer for this problem.

And There's no way of Testing The AGP

So you are saying everytime you turn off your PC, it never works correctly again? And your card will not run any for of drivers?

If so, there is a faulty hard ware somewhere, most likely your HDD or Video Card.

Ok well i found out Everytime Windows Automatic Update, Updates my Video card Im guessing The Driver, once After it tells me to restart my system. Once After its restarted The Direct3D no longer works.. So I have to Avoid DLing the update for the Video driver or some software that has something to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back