TechSpot

Problem opening screenshot taken from Linux on Windows

By newlook2
Feb 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I took a screen shot from Mint Linux and put it on a USB stick. On my Windows 7 machine when I try to upload it to ImageShack, when I select the file it says "The file name, directory name, or volume label is incorrect". When I try to open it with Windows Photo Viewer it says that it was either deleted or in a location that is unavailable. It appears as 32 kb. I can't rename it. What causes this? Are there often problems transferring data files between OSs?

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

Not usually, I transfer files between OSes all the time, not to mention run NTFS filesystems under Linux and access them with Windows clients as well. I never have an issue.

It sounds to me like the file is corrupt for some reason, maybe because of the way it was unmounted from Linux. What image file type is it?

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,515   +336

concurr; a graphic file type {gif, jpg, png, ... } on Linux is the same on Windows, Mac & every other platform.

be sure that the Linux file name has an extention to reflect the file format
    (ie Linux doesn't need them but you do when uploading or moving them)

4. newlook2

newlook2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's a .png file and it works on the Linux machine and doesn't work on 2 Windows machines. In Linux I tried compressing it, then on Windows I opened it with Winrar, and then I could open it with Windows Photo Viewer. Is it a naming problem? The files name is Screenshot at 2012-02-01 02:18:13.png

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,399   +1,591

6. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

As above. If your using files in Windows and Linux you really want to keep to letters, numbers or - and _ and not use anything else. Other special characters sometimes work, but I find keeping to the labelling system I just mentioned guarantees compatibility.

Change the file name to something more basic in Linux, like screenshot20120201.png and it should work fine.

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,515   +336

Correct. Time Values need something like hh.mm.ss or hh_mm_ss.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.