Problem recovering data from laptop hard drive after motherboard failure

By Milomannn
Jun 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I am apologizing before I start because I have limited knowledge and hope not to waste anyone's time.

The story: I am trying to recover a few data files from my old hard drive. I have removed my hard drive from my laptop in which the motherboard crashed. The hard drive is about a year old, laptop 5 years old. I placed the removed drive into a usb drive enclosure. The failed computer had Vista OS, my new computer has Windows 7 OS. The failed drive has a password on it at the level of logging into windows. When I connected old drive to new computer via usb, the new computer recognized it and gave it a drive letter. If if clicked on the drive I could see the files in it. When I tried to go to the files that contained my data, I got a message that I did have permission to open them. Then the new computer continuously tried to open the file. This process wouldn't stop even trying to kill it with the Task Master. I had to pull the drive out of the usb and reboot my new computer.

questions: What should I do? Is this a problem with conflicting OS systems, passwords, too many OS. I have looked at forums but could not find anything that I could understand and use. Any suggestions?

Thanks
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,408   +280

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.