TechSpot

Problem Reinstalling XP (FDISK PROBLEMS)

By jdl_manu
Oct 4, 2007
  1. I have a Fujitsu siemens amilo xi1546 Laptop.
    I went to fdisk it and deleted non-dos partition, i also deleted primary and extended partitions including logical drives.
    Once done i went to create primary partition, it said my hard drive was only 10gb when its 80gb.
    I put no to use maximum available space and make active and let it continue.
    i put at the end use 100% and it went to 74gb.
    I then proceeded to format the drive and did that, although when i went to my xp installation it said it couldn't detect my hard drive!
    I was baffled as ive done the same procedure many times.
    ive use test disk and scandisk ive fixed the mbr. when i went to use a third party formatting program, maxtor large hard drive formatter it scanned for drives.
    IT didnt pick up my hard drive.
    What should i do???? Many thanks Joel Lask

2. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Posts: 1,012

Have you got your H.d.d set as master?

You can do this by moving the jumper on your hard drive to the pins that are for master.

Regards Jase :)

3. jdl_manu

jdl_manu TS Rookie Topic Starter

im using a laptop... you cant change the settings.... any other s****tions?

Thanks Joel Lask

4. boykov

boykov TS Enthusiast Posts: 73

Hi

Since you tried Matrox formating utility did you make sure its a Matrox HDD?
    Talking about thrird party utilities : "ultimate boot CD" have a look http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    and
    this is a nice easy to use partitioning software "cute partition manager" http://www.cutepm.com/

In the "UBCD" there are some good apps for "deleting" a HDD .. something might have gone terribly wrong with your XP install !!!

cheers

5. jdl_manu

jdl_manu TS Rookie Topic Starter

Tried UBCD but still no luck, what should i do????

Thanks Joel Lask.

PS... would it be easier to buy a new hdd?

6. boykov

boykov TS Enthusiast Posts: 73

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.