TechSpot

Problem running games

By Skyface
Apr 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I have been having problems playing Runescape on my (crappy) computer. I wanted to ask someone to see if there is any way i can rectify the problem.

My system specs: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01852859 (Just a website that shows all my system specs)

Basically, this computer is a wal-mart computer. A Black Friday Bargain. But despite that, I've not had problems running games (that I know I should be able to run) until I got to Runescape. In fact, this computer can run WoW perfectly fine (On "performance" settings of course :p) but it can't seem to run a simple browser-based game any higher than 5FPS.

I'm here to ask if there is anything i can do (hardware-wise) to upgrade this computer to help run the game, while spending the least money possible. I know that the graphics card sucks, but I don't really care about running popular high-end games right now. And I know that the card sucks because its integrated. And I know I'm posting in the Motherboard section. But I was told to download a program called "GPU-Z" that basically monitors what parts of my computer are being used when I do certain things. While running Runescape, it says my Graphics card is at 0% and my CPU is doing all the work. Apparently this means the CPU or something is "bottlenecking" my graphics card and it isn't even doing any work at all. So I wanted to see if it really is a CPU problem and not a graphics card problem.

Another hiccup is that my computer apparently only has 250W power supply, which is terrible. Is it even possible to upgrade my computer's hardware without buying a new power supply? I know they can be pretty expensive.

Anyways, thanks for the help, I'm kind of sporadic in this post, I am just really tired. Haha

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

The computer can handle only 4GB of DDR2 667MHz memory max. Your only real option is to buy a PCIe X16 DirectX 10 or DirectX 11 video card... The power supply may or may not support the video card though

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.