Problem trying to access a backup file made with Acronis True Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcroot

Hello guys!

I am currently having a problem accessing a Windows XP backup that I made few months ago with “Acronis True Image”.

This is the situation, few months ago I decided to give it a try to Windows 7 so I removed Windows XP SP3 Pro from my Desktop PC, before doing this I installed “Acronis True Image” backup software in order to backup my Windows XP Partition to my external Hard Drive. Now that I have Windows 7 all good, I mounted my Windows XP partition backup with Acronis True Image, but for some reason I am not been able to access my Windows XP User folder ( I:\Documents and Settings\My Username ), I am able to access all my other usernames except this one which had a user account password. The error message that I am getting is:

“You don't currently have permission to access this folder.
Click continue to permanently get access to this folder.”

When I click "Continue" I get this error message:

“You have been denied permission to access this folder.
To gain access to this folder you will need to use the "security tab".

So I right click the folder, Properties, Security Tab, Advanced, Owner... when I click "Edit" I get this message:

“You only have permission to view the current owner on User name”

I also followed this guide (http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2204/vista_how_to_take_ownership_system_file/)

but when I enter this command:

takeown /f filepath I am having problem with the filepath since I believe my file path is: I:\Documents and Settings\User name

This is the error message that I get when entering the above command:
Error: Invalid argument/option - "and"-

Hopefully somebody can give me a hand with this, I really need to gain access to my backup partition.

Many Thanks!

Instead of choosing "Mount" in the Acronis submenu, try Explore (or something similar). Otherwise, if you do use the "mount" option i (think) you need to mount in read/write mode in order to change the Windows ownership / security options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back