Problem trying to instal sims 2 double deluxe.

By Keepnualwayz
Jan 8, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi I got the sims 2 double deluxe game and when I try to install it on my laptop I get a message saying:

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.

I can, however, install it fine on my desktop. I got this disk new from the store and i am using a system with windows XP on it so I have No idea why this is happening? ideas? suggestions?

im at a loss on solving this. thanks
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,385   +205

Is this a DVD and your laptop only has a CD drive?
  3. Keepnualwayz

Keepnualwayz Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

i am under the impression i can play dvds on my laptop. I am putting it in the cd drive though because its the only on on here. Is there a way to check if it is capable of playing dvds?
  4. mailpup

Do you have a movie DVD to test with?

You can run a dxdiag, save the information and get the model number of the optical drive. From that we could google to see what kind of drive it is.
  5. Keepnualwayz

ok ran it and saved the info i do not see a optical drive category what is it under?
  6. mailpup

Scroll down to "Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives."
  7. Keepnualwayz

this is what it says

------------------
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 11.3 GB
    Total Space: 19.1 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: IC25N020ATDA04-0

Drive: D:
    Model: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1902B
    Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 5.01.2600.2180 (English), 8/4/2004 12:00:00, 49536 bytes
  8. mailpup

Your drive D is a CD-ROM drive only, meaning it can only read (not write) CDs and not DVDs. If your game disk is a DVD, you can't use this drive to install the game. You would need an external DVD drive that you could connect via USB or perhaps firewire if your laptop has such a connection. As an alternative you can replace the CD-ROM drive with a DVD drive.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.