Problem uninstalling ubuntu dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

madzach2000

i am new to this site and new to forums all together but i really need help

i have 2 hdd
one has xp pro sp2 on it
and the other is partitioned half way with linux Ubuntu on it

i want to uninstall GRUB and Ubuntu but i dont have a boot cd so i made one using this guide
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml
in the guide it tells you to copy your i386 folder to w/e file they want you to put it in.
my question is... is it just a matter of uninstalling grub or do i have to reinstall a windows boot loader and if i do have to reinstall a windows boot loader is this boot cd going to do that for me.

i just really dont want to boot my pc and be throwing $180 out the window

i would really appreciate your help.

thx

i'm pretty sure you can just insert your original windows disk and use the recovery console and then use the command "fixmbr." (without the quotes or full stop of course).

this will replace GRUB with the original windows bootloader and you should be able to boot into windows normally, without the choice of Ubuntu.

that said, this method doesnt remove or delete your Ubuntu partition or setup. it just leaves it there in a slightly inaccessible state, which is not a bad thing if you later decide you would like to reactivate it and have another crack. its also a good hiding spot for some of your 'sensitive stuff!'

if you're feeling brave and wanna start deleting unwanted partitions later (read my other posts!!), then you can do this from inside windows once you have it booting normally with windows MBR (master boot record).

try this site out, this guys pretty switched on..

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

but remember, when mucking about with partitions and stuff "there are two kinds of people in this world, those who backup, and those who've never lost a hard drive."

thx a lot
answered a lot of my questions.
but one still remains.
can i use the boot cd that i made with the guide to uninstall GRUB and reinstall MBR?

ok

It Worked!!
thx .if anyone is in the same situation as me i hope this helps you and i hope it works for you

i'm glad that worked for you as it did for me.

i had a look through that guide you posted a link for, seems like a huge mission!

you'd probably be better simply getting a full normal version of XP off torrents or a friend or something.

there are ways you can create a disk with only the windows recovery console using a a method similar to the one described on that guide, but what a headache!

its always good to just have a normal, standard XP disk hanging around for tricky times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back