Problem with 8600 GTS

sagato

hello im posting this because im having issues with my computer umm I dont know fully if im explaining this right but here goes nothing. the other day I was using my duel monitored computer I shut it down to go run some errend and when I came back I booted it up and my monitors werent working before I noticed that I saw that my power button to turn on my computer was blinking a alot before it gave it's usual short beep and booted up I dont recall that happening before then when my monitors didnt load up I knew something was wrong atm im using my onboard vga hub to be able to post this but I got no idea what happened I was advised by friends to maeke sure my drivers were up to date and that it was hooked up correctly when I went to my divice manager my 8600 gts Geforce wasnt showing up only my onboard graphic was showing up what the heck happnened and is there anyway I can fix it? I cant imagine my card died in a matter of 6 hours while my system was powered down. I built this thing myself nand im at a loss for trying to figur e out what the heck happened. please someone who is patient and truly seeking to help reply to this cause if I cant get this working again I dont know what I can do otherwise so please im begging for someone to help

I'd just like to add even though I built this im a complete ***** when it comes to tehch help I know there is probly a ton of info you may need to assist me I just need to fix this and I dont know whats wrong kinda wish I knew what the blinking ment and how could my graphic card just die on me in a matter of hours after I been using it for a while seemlessly

Man, I really wish I knew enough to be of some real help to you. Anyways, I suggest you post your complete system specs. Include your CPU, motherboard make and model, PSU specifications, your OS version. This will help more knowledgeable members make an informed diagnosis. They won't even hazard a guess if they don't know what your system specs are as that would be plain reckless.

At any rate, I would think the most obvious question to ask is whether your PSU is up to spec and still working as it should. If it's good, then is your GPU properly connected to it? Was device manager able to detect your card before the problem started?

But please post your specs and wait for other members to chime in before you do anything. I'll try to help -- even if it's just to keep your thread up until the more knowledgeable members are able to get to it.

Good luck and stay cool.

mother board: MCP6PB M2+
psu: 450watts
graphics: 8600 gts nvidia GeForce
ram 2gb ddr2 corsair
processor : amd antheon 64 x2 5200+ 2.70 GHz

well I havent checked the divice manage in a while I had problems with it with the driver update right before the recent one I belive the driver instalation program was tlking boutthe last big game to come out before maxpayne there was a problem with that peticular driver and my games they I had to roll back to fix but at that time yea I was able to see it under my display adapters labeled at 8600gts nividia geforcenow it only shows my onboard

I just dunno what some of these abbreviations mean im a newb GPU is one I dont understand pcb is another im confused about sorry for being a little unknowledgeable but im trying best I can

GPU is graphics processor unit or video card. The 8600 gts nvidia GeForce card may have gone bad

I hope not I cant fanthom how it works perfectly then a few hours later completely poofs

Hi, This problem could be down to one of several problems or faults.
1) Power supply starting to fail or too low wattage.
2) Video card failed.
3) Video card driver failed in some way or not the correct version.
4) Fault on the motherboard, possibly the video card socket.
If the Video card does show in Device manager, uninstall the driver, and reboot Windows, Does it detect the card, and install a driver?
Power off the pc . Remove the Video card, fit it back again, make sure it goes into the socket properly, and the clip clicks in at the front of the card.
The fact that you can use the PC with the 'onboard' graphics vga option, says to me, it's the video card failed, but I could be wrong.

ywea I think the card died or maybe psu is failing any idea what the flashing power button means?

only thing that came with it was a fold out mapping all the hubs I been looking up online I find tons of things about the internal beeps but not a single thing about the power buttons led flashing

ty for the advice btw you guys are awesome for taking time to hlp

really!? that maybe good news cause I have another power source!!!! omfg if this is true I ****ing love you

just to clarify before I start riping my closet apart loking for the spare psu I got when I turn the computer on power button flashes blu repeatedly (blu only color it has) then when it boots up its gives one short beep like it usually does then light stays solid

The short beep is normal. Sometimes if you have the computer set to sleep instead of turning off completely, the power light will flash in standby or sleep mode

Hi, If you have another PSU then it will only take a short time to change it over. If you can take a photo of the motherboard first before you take it apart, it may help you fit the new one. Or write down on paper where each power plug goes on the motherboard. The flashing light on the power button is usually a warning, could be many reasons for that, I would be looking at the PSU and the Video card. If you have a spare video card, try it, remember to plug your monitor into the correct socket, e.g. 'on-board' blue VGA or PCI-Express video card VGA or DVI or HDMI, whichever you have.

Back