Problem with acer 620p scanner/win xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cypruscove

I saw a post that is the same problem that I have. I have mirascan as the driver and it will check for my scanner and finds it because the scanner lights come on, the green light blinks and it starts to move.

The problem is that mirascan comes back with a "cannot find scanner". I have tried everything including having Twain!!

Someone should be able to give me some advice. By the way....Benq does NOT have anything at all.

Thanks....Alex

Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Make sure your scanner is connected and turned on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

My Acer 620 Scanner

Make sure your scanner is connected and turned on
Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

Thanks for the info as listed above. I didn't get very far!When I did the run, enter, it wouldn't continue and asked me to use the "Help Support" menu. I did this and then got a " can't find the helpctr.exe" I found it with a search but couldn' activate it??

What's next as I seem to be getting deeper with original promlem.

Thanks........Alex

What are the specs for yur computer? and What version of Windows are you runing (XP pro or home or Vista Home or Ultimate, etc.) and what Service Pack level? And do you have your Operating System install CD.

that command msinfo32 is part of Help and Support so yea, it won't run if Help and Support isn't installed / configured corretly

Info for

Again......Thanks for the help. I have Win xp....Home edition with Service Pack 3. Thew computer has an IntellPentium 3 processor at 797 MG, 384 Megs of ram. Yes, I have the CD.

Thanks..............Alex

Assuming you don't want to wipe things out and re-install from scratch, we need do a few steps to repair your current environment

A. Is your install CD for XP SP3? If yes, skip to step B, If it's for an earlier SP release, you need to build a "slipstreamed" CD for SP3
  • If you r install CD is still XP Home SP2, for example, it can't be used to fix your current SP3 installation since the CD is out of date
  • Slipstreaming is a fairly straightforward process. It essentially merges your current CD with all of MS SP3 changes so you can build and burn an equivalent XP Home edition SP3 CD you then use for new installs and/or repairs (like in step B below)
    Click here for instructions
  • I will highlight one thing to be sure and do in the slipstream process (easy to overlook and can sometimes cause problems down the road)
    • Look the CD "volume label". (When the CD is in your computer this name that appears for the CD in Windows Explorer
    • In instructions step 2 when you create the ImgBurn Config File not the two lines:
      Code:
      VolumeLabel_ISO9660=HTHSP3
      VolumeLabel_Joliet=HTHSP3
    • Change both of these lines so the label (appearing to the right of the = ) is identical to what you see for your current XP Home CD

B) Reinstall Help and Support see this link

/* EDIT */

Just noticed you said 384 MB RAM. You might want add RAM to at least 1GB - 2GB. Check the price. As i'll bet you'll get a very noticeable performance improvement for the investment

What a mess

Thanks again!!

Couldn't do anything you showed me. The win xp CD says I can't re-install without losing ALL of my data. It says that the version I have now is a later one than the CD? This CD is what I installed with. Also the things you said to do wouldn't work .............missing this and that!! Now what..................? I have SP 2 but not SP 3.

Thanks......Alex

I'm a bit confused now.. so one question at a time...

Look at the label on the front of your install CD. It should say XP Home Edition and an SP level. What SP level is it?

Just by the way, that scanner was made nearly 10 years ago, and was never intended for XP
And as LookinAround stated your Ram requires updating, but on a 800MHz computer I wouldn't even bother. Just update the entire computer (and scanner ! )

Way too old to support in my view ;)

Finally found something good!

I used the control panel and I DO have SP3! But I can't find it with a search. Also I cannot BURN CD'S. Fixing to reset the RAM.

More advice, please................Alex

Ok so

you can't BURN CDs
and your Windows Setup disc doesn't work
and you have 384Meg of Ram on a 800MHz computer
and you are trying to get an extremely old scanner to work

Is that correct?

Sorry, I'm still confused
I used the control panel and I DO have SP3!
Used control panel for what? I understand you are running SP3 the question is what does the label on your installation CD say???
Fixing to reset the RAM.
You mean you plan to upgrade??? your RAM? you're fixing and resetting what????

As kimsland notes, check the price for RAM upgrade and evaluate its cost against a purchase of a computer upgrade

/* EDIT */
i.e. IS YOUR INSTALLATION CD ALSO SP3?

No problems
But I can't support that myself
And if LookinAround wants to continue (oh say 20 or 30 more support posts!) go for it ;)

Oh and buy a scanner made for XP

The CD I have now I had a friend to burn this one as an extra. Only have the REG. numbers on it and I misplaced the original...............So am stuck where I am! I used System search and that is where it showed up as having SP 3.......rest unknown.....

Alex

Hello.............Looks like ya'll have gave up on me????????? I still think I have enough to make the 620p prisma work. It will take some good brain work!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex

Thanks again!!

Couldn't do anything you showed me. The win xp CD says I can't re-install without losing ALL of my data. It says that the version I have now is a later one than the CD? This CD is what I installed with. Also the things you said to do wouldn't work .............missing this and that!! Now what..................? I have SP 2 but not SP 3.

Thanks......Alex

Understand, it;s not a matter of giving up but your system issues keep putting up road blocks that prevent efforts from tackling the problem. Between
=> You have SP3 installed but only an SP2 install disk
=> You say you can't build an SP3 install disk cause you can't burn CDs
=> You say you can't get msinfo32 to work as XP Help and Support isn't working
=> You can't fix Help and Support issues cause you don't have an SP3 disk!!

I can deal with your low system memory and slow computer (it makes you wait for your slow system response, not me ;) )

I:d suggest your best shot (if you can't or won't fix) given your system problems

Try running DriverMax and see if it can't identify your devices and find the drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back