Problem with Cooler Master chipset cooler RUNNING HOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xcape

Hello all, new to this forum. I bought a Cooler Master chipset cooler for my Asus P4P800-E Deluxe. I was checking my GPU fan when I touched the cooler and it was hot, I mean HOOOTTT, like cant touch it for more than a second hot.

The fan is spinning the 5K revs it runs in but its super hot anyway. I gave my stock cooler away and this is what I have. The MB temperature is normal, 37c and cpu 32c fanless at idle. I dont know where that MB sensor is located but the chipset must be over 40c at least.

Whats the best chipset cooler out there. My MB has an Intel 845 chipset. (i need an upgrade!)

My Antec P180 (provides great ventilation with 4 120mm fans) case is sitting standing up like its meant to be and I was reading in another forum that some heatpipes dont like to be sideways, could this be the case?

chipsets have a higher heat tolerence than CPUs, 40c is a safe operating temp. also, temp sensors are not accurate, so you can't really go by the reading from it anyways. it's not unusual for software based sensor to be as much as 10c off the actual temp.

the cooler you bought should work fine. did you thoroughly clean the chipset and heatsink with isopropyl alcohol and then apply new thermal compound before mounting the cooler?

I diched the one supplied and applied some Artic Silver 5 instead.

I have to re-check it, its such a hassle that its easier to remove the MB to do it but my case doesnt have a removable MB tray so its hard either way.

most cases don't have removable mb trays (i wish mine did too).

If you use arctic silver, it should be applied as a very thin layer to only the chipset itself. any more will result in less than optimal heat transfer.

from my own experiences artic silver works great on CPUs, but for some reason I could never get good results from using it on chipsets and GPUs. I always use it on my CPUs, but I have just had better luck with the regular white silicone grease on chipsets and GPUs.

many will argue the opposite, but that is just my own experience. I'm not telling you not to use it, but just consider trying the grease that came with it instead and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back