TechSpot

Problem with formating new hard drive?

By windsock
Feb 9, 2010
  1. Hello and please help,
    My hard drive crashed so I bought another one... (old size =WD160) (new size WD320). Upon installing the XP pro OS on the new HD it was installed it on the j: drive and not on the c: drive as I expected. I believe (from reading other posts) that I can install it again and make it go to the c: drive. My question is how to I get the first install (on j:drive) removed or deleted before trying the reinstall on the c:. Please accept my apologies should this be a stupid question as I am a Senior citizen with limited comp. experience..
    Tailwinds

2. pepsi1

pepsi1 TS Rookie

If the installation was a success, just not the drive letter you want, you can easily change the drive letter in disk management(right click "My Computer"---drop down pick manage--new screen --find disk management---double click---find the J drive and right click for a new drop down that has "change drive letter" as a choice...
    First select the drive letter in the box---remove it---then click add letter and pick "C" or disk (0). Hit ok and your done.

3. pjamme

pjamme TS Enthusiast Posts: 208

windsock,
    For future reference, If you had USB drives etc. connected when you did your istall that is probably why it picked J:

4. windsock

windsock TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your response

I believe that the printer was connected via USB port, but that should have been the only thing.. I will disconnect that when I'm ready to reinstall MS Office Pro again.. Do you have any suggestions as to how to remove the existing XP Pro OS from the J: drive prior to trying to install it on c: disk again ? Should it not be removed first ?
    Thanks again

5. pepsi1

pepsi1 TS Rookie

I don't understand. What is the objection to changing the drive letter rather than repeating the install?

6. windsock

windsock TS Rookie Topic Starter

I don't think it would let me change it, anyway upon reinstall all went well,,, thanks to all for the help...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.