Problem with Ghost Corporate 8.0 and tripple boot

By Beni
Jan 20, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everyone

I'm currently trying to geht norton ghost server 8.0 to work. Basicly, it all works fine. I tested it with normal winXPpro, and everything worked as planned.

But now, my actual system is a tripple boot (1x Dos with bootmgr, 1 x win xp pro, 1 x win2003 server (2 partition are always hidden, so the user has no access to the other operating systems). When I try to get the image from this workstation (or load an image to this station) it trys to reboot, and then I got the error message; Missing Operating System.

I checked now with partition magic the harddrive, and partition magic says; unkonw error in the partitiontable. If I try to restart with an external bootmanager, I can start my operating systems as usual.

Now, I don't know anymore what the problem could be. The last thing it could be; I dont have any unallocated space on the disc left. Does ghost need some free, unallocated space? I would be glad to here your thought about my problem.
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,201   +229

Ghost shouldn't need any unallocated space afaik. Curious though, are you capturing with Ghost Console or just using a Ghost boot disk for the capture? Is this the result after you've placed the ghost image onto another machine? I can't imagine you getting the Missing OS message doing the capture while using a Ghost boot disk. Using the Ghost Console there are modifications made to your boot process so that you boot to a virtual disk which connects you directly to the ghost session. This process may have damaged your original boot process/loader if you are using the console.
  3. Beni

Beni Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I'm trying to capture the image with cost console. So, ghost makes "some" changes to the boot order, but I didn't found any kind of information what exactly. I belive as well that ghost won't work with my boot manager. Which brings me right now to the idea; changing the bootmanager. I'll try this out right now :)
  4. Beni

Beni Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok, it seems to work. I used a no-name bootmanager before, now I installed boot us. No Problems anymore.. thx for everything
  5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,201   +229

Glad you got everything working!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.