Problem with hard disk/writer

there is an irritating fix. though i have a DVD writer drive, it is unable to write anything. Device manager doesn't show the Storage volumes and the disk check and disk defrag are not working? please, can any one identify what the problem is and where it lies? Even as i try to format and reinstal the Windows, gives some vague error.

during the process of formatting and installation of new windows, when the system reboots, it shows a blank black screen with a cursor blinking furiously at left hand top corner. It continues to blink a message appears telling to press shift+ctrl+del to restart. This is the farthest that the installation process goes.

The operating system that I am trying to install is genuine copy of Windows XP
when I tried installing the one- month license copy of window 7, an error message returns like: window needs 432 Mb free space for the temporary files for the installation to continue. after I click OK, it returns to my normal desktop.
The disk check tool and defragment tools are not working.
the partition utility is not showing any partition in the storage except the CD ROM drive.

Hardware.: Intel C2D processor
1 Gb ddr2 RAM
512 Mb NVIDIA Graphix Card
160Gb samsung sata Harddisk
80 Gb external Hard disk Through IDE port

What you describe is typical of a worn or overused or aged optical drive... or a defective one. If new, send it back. If used a lot, replace it under warranty. Most brands fail too early under heavy use... The one-year warranty only takes care of the individual user.
All manufacturers will replace them if under a year on the date code on the label, or if older date code, produce the receipt..
Many manufacturers will ship one to you, but the warranty only lasts until the end of the year of the original drive... though they usually last another year.

Back