Problem with Hibernate, Shut Down, Restart & Stand by on Toshiba Satellite A100 - 225

Status
Not open for further replies.

compfuture88

Windows XP Problem with Hibernate, Shut Down, Restart & Stand by

Hi,

I' ve recently had problems with my laptop. The probem is that it can't complete a simple automatic function wich is:

Trying to hibernate, standy by, shut down, or restart.

(I am using windows xp home edition)

For example say I want to shut down the computer I normally follow these steps: start menu > turn off computer > turn off.

Then evetually it gets to the screen with the blue backround that says: "Windows is shutting down...", and just stays there and doesn't shut down so I have to press and hold the power button until it switches off. So, basically it doesn't complete the function.

The same thing occurs when attempting to Hibernate (stays on the screen saying "Prepearing to Hibernate", Stand by "Stanting by" something like that and on restart it goes to the "Windows is shutting down..." screen.

I don't know exactly why this is happening but I'm assuming some sort of windows problem or a hardware problem. I tried to do System Restore but that didn't work because it goes to the same screen again as I mentioned above. I read somewhere that it might be something to do with my profile being to large but im not too sure about that. I asked my uncle about it and he said I should save everything I need and format my computer and then I would have install windows on it. Im thinking that there should some other solution
but I don't know.

Please help!

Thanks

sounds like there is some application or process that is preventing the computer from shutting down properly. in other words, windows is unable to terminate the process correctly, or at all. when was the last time you updated the computer, ran a virus scan, or edited the registry? there could be some malicious processes preventing proper shutdown. also, make sure the settings for stand-by and hibernate are configured correctly. this can be found in Power Saving Options.

I've had problems with my Satellite mx35-s161 from time to time.

Usually reinstalling the CommonSupport will correct the issue.
Go to the website and find the right package for your model. :)

sounds like there is some application or process that is preventing the computer from shutting down properly. in other words, windows is unable to terminate the process correctly, or at all. when was the last time you updated the computer, ran a virus scan, or edited the registry? there could be some malicious processes preventing proper shutdown. also, make sure the settings for stand-by and hibernate are configured correctly. this can be found in Power Saving Options.

Hi EXCellR8,

I have recently performed a scan with Ad-Aware 2008. There were objects found and I removed them. There were also infected files in the registry and I accidentally put them in the ignore list and when I ran the scan again they weren't found. I cant seem to find the "ignore list" in Ad-aware though :-(.

I have also used Avira Anti-virus and that hasn't found any virus but 2 warnings and it finds those every time I run it.
One part of the scan report said
that Begin scan in 'C:\'
C:\hiberfil.sys
[WARNING] The file could not be opened!
C:\pagefile.sys
[WARNING] The file could not be opened!
Later it said that these two files could not be scanned (the 2 warnings I get).

However the problem with shuttting down, restart, stand by and hibernate started happening before I ran any of these scans.

As far the power settings go I checked them and they seem to be set correctly.

I'm guessing you're right by saying that some application, process or malicious softwarte that is preventing the computer from shutting down properly.

Should I try install a better anti-spyware program to detect the modified registry or should I do something else?

I've had problems with my Satellite mx35-s161 from time to time.

Usually reinstalling the CommonSupport will correct the issue.
Go to the website and find the right package for your model. :)

Hi jobeard,

I tried to look for this "CommonSupport" on the toshiba website but im not sure were to find it.
Can you post me a link for it?
Also, what exacly is "CommonSupport", what does it do?

Thanks

Windows XP Problem with Hibernate, Shut Down, Restart & Stand by cont'

I still have the problem of my laptop not being able to complete shut down, restart, Hibernate and Stand by as described in my previous posts.

I've searched the net to find possible solutions. Windows support is useless to me(doesn't really help), and other ones are too complicated and risky to try (at least for me) describe here:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

But I found this:
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

on the tech spot forum for removing Viruses/Spyware/Malware. I am thinking of following the steps because I believe there must be some kind of virus preventing the computer from shutting down, restarting, Hibernating and standing by.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good idea or if they know any other methods of solving this problem?

P.S. Please someone help. I really want to fix this annoying problem.

Thanks

Hi jobeard,

I tried to look for this "CommonSupport" on the toshiba website but im not sure were to find it.
Can you post me a link for it?
Also, what exacly is "CommonSupport", what does it do?
Look in the Driver or Downloads. This is just one of many drivers for the platform hardware, eg touchpad, hotkeys, wifi config and in your case, POWER MANAGEMENT. You might find it under the Toshiba Console, where the P.M. icon is located

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back