Problem with internet browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrederikNeertof

Hello everyone.
My sisters got a problem with her laptop, which is that it can't connect to the browsers.
It can find wireless networks just fine, it can log on MSN just fine also. It can also download updates from the Windows Update utility.
However, it can't connect to the browsers. Both IE7 and Firefox.
No, it's not set to "Work Offline." No, it's not using a proxy server, if I go to IE7 settings.
I also checked for spyware, there was nothing.
The problem seemed to occure just suddenly.. weird yeah.
It's an Acer Aspire 5310, using Vista Basic 32 bit.
The wireless netcard is an Atheros AR5007EG.

Thanks in forward,
- Fred

No, there's also no firewall blocking it.
Checked windows firewall. The laptop also had Norton Internet Security installed (Doh), I uninstalled the pest as quick as I saw it.

Yes,
When I log onto the computer, it automatically logs me in MSN. I can recieve and send messages from it just fine.
However, when I try to open IE7 or Firefox, it says: The page cannot be found..
No matter what I search for.

Have you re-set your wireless router lately? I have seen that problem occur on the router side. I would also double check all Vista security settings which might have been changed somehow in a recent update. Then, I would still consider malware as a potential problem. There is a good guide to the proper steps to take to ensure a clean machine somewhere on this forum. I will try to find it and post a link.

Yes,
When I log onto the computer, it automatically logs me in MSN. I can recieve and send messages from it just fine.
However, when I try to open IE7 or Firefox, it says: The page cannot be found..
No matter what I search for.

I am curious if DNS is working. Or possible hosts file borked.

open a browser and enter the following IP in the address window:
74.125.45.99 (Google)
See if it opens, if it does your DNS is not resolving addresses correctly. Disable and re-enable your network adapter.
If it does not open Google's page, then I would begin more thorough diagnosis.

Report back.

Have you re-set your wireless router lately? I have seen that problem occur on the router side. I would also double check all Vista security settings which might have been changed somehow in a recent update. Then, I would still consider malware as a potential problem. There is a good guide to the proper steps to take to ensure a clean machine somewhere on this forum. I will try to find it and post a link.

No, I don't think it's the router.
My sister doesn't live under the same roof as me, and the problem is the same at hers and my router.

I'm gonna check the Vista Security Settings now, and double check for malware.
Thanks for the help so far. :)

I am curious if DNS is working. Or possible hosts file borked.

open a browser and enter the following IP in the address window:
74.125.45.99 (Google)
See if it opens, if it does your DNS is not resolving addresses correctly. Disable and re-enable your network adapter.
If it does not open Google's page, then I would begin more thorough diagnosis.

Report back.

Hey NunjaBusiness.
I tried entering the IP in the address window, and no luck. Page could not be found.

Currently scanning for malware/spyware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware. So far I haven't found anything.

NetCablesPlus, about the Vista Security Settings, where do I check those? I tried clicking the blue nameover "Vista Security Settings" but couldn't find anything there.
I don't know alot about vista - I prefer XP myself. Hehe.

hi Jobeard.
I tested the guide on the link you sent me.. the first 2 were correct,
but at no. 3
PING $GATEWAY
what exactly do i have to write?
PING $192.168.50.1
which is my standardgateway from the IPCONFiG test

$GATEWAY is symbolic for the address reported as the gateway from ipconfig /all
OR the ISP gateway shown in your router config page.

Use the latter if you have a router otherwise where the PC is connected to the modem, use the ipconfig value.

The same can be said for the DNS address.

Pinging the gateway IP address shows you can reach your ISP.
Pinging the ISP DNS address says you should be able to resolve names into addresses,
and you prove it using the nslookup some.domain.name

Hello everyone.
My sisters got a problem with her laptop, which is that it can't connect to the browsers.
It can find wireless networks just fine, it can log on MSN just fine also. It can also download updates from the Windows Update utility.
However, it can't connect to the browsers. Both IE7 and Firefox.
No, it's not set to "Work Offline." No, it's not using a proxy server, if I go to IE7 settings.
I also checked for spyware, there was nothing.
The problem seemed to occure just suddenly.. weird yeah.
It's an Acer Aspire 5310, using Vista Basic 32 bit.
The wireless netcard is an Atheros AR5007EG.

Thanks in forward,
- Fred

Unistall the drivers for the wireless nic
disable the wired nic
Reboot the laptop
Vista will re-install the driver
Reboot one more time after it done installing the driver.

Try again.. If it still doesn't work disable the wireless enabled the wired with LAN cable connected directly to your router. See if can get on to the internet and back onto this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back