Problem with LAN network after hardware installations

I recently purchased and installed an AMD Radeon HD6570, as well as a new 500-watt power supply. Ever since installation, my computer has had troublesome times connecting via ethernet. It should be noted that I switched to AMD from an Nvidia GPU, which is the stock card for my system.

At first, I received the error message "Windows was unable to automatically detect this networks proxy settings". IPv4 was receiving an internet connection, but IPv6 wasn't.

I thought it might have been an ISP issue with the university I attend, but now the LAN adapter is completely unable to recognize a plugged in ethernet cable. It's not a problem with the cable or ISP, because other computers are able to connect using the same port and cable. Even the little green light that flashes around the ethernet port on the back of my computer has stopped flashing.

I downloaded the most updated driver for my network controller (Intel 82562V-2) and used some of the newer features to test my LAN device out. The hardware and cable tests returned a success, but my connection failed.

There was also another device called "PCI Simple Communications Controller" without any installed driver to run it. But most online results said this was a minor issue.
EDIT: The missing "PCI Simple Communications Controller" turned out to be a Systems device called "Intel Management Engine Interface". I found the correct driver for the device by looking up its vendor/device codes on pciexpress.com, then manually installed the driver. Doesn't seem to help out the internet however. Maybe its one of many firmware problems involved with the ethernet controller?

This is all extremely confusing to me: How can the LAN device pass all of its functionality tests, recognize when there is and isn't an ethernet plugged in, but still remain disconnected and completely non-responsive?

My guess is my computer has a major issue with the university's local network, or that there's an extremely subtle cable/port malfunction.

What do you have on-board NIC? If you have it then get a good PCI-E 10/100/1000 Card. Which is the better route.

our home systems and even major universities just do not need IPv6 and in fact
our routers frequently mess up real good with it.

Google for disable IPv6 and follow the fix for your {xp, vista, win7} system.
disable ALL IPv6 then reboot an attempt a connection again :)

One of the first error checks I did was to enable/disable both IPv6 and IPv4 to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't.

Yes, I do have an NIC integrated into my motherboard, and that is how I use ethernet. But do I really have to buy a PCI card online to fix all of this? It seems like a good and inexpensive option, but I worry that some of the weird signs my NIC is showing points to a more complex problem.

Right now, my NICs driver can recognize when an ethernet cable is plugged in and sending data. But any attempts to connect using the Network and Sharing Center says an ethernet cable isn't even plugged in. This is a very frustrating situation....

Back