Problem with Linksys WRT150n

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everybody,

i have the linksys wrt150n wireless router and two computers : one is connected to the router by the ethernet cable and the other one is wireless. when i switched on the router and use the "wireless" computer, there is no problem with my internet connection. i can stay connected for hours...

but when i used the "wired" computer, i do get access to the internet but for less than a minute (both with explorer and firefox) regardless if the "wireless" computer is on or off. i have to unplug the router and plug it back on and then i get access to internet and i don't lose any connection.

if the "wireless" computer is on and i switched on the "wired" computer, not only i lose connection with the "wired" computer as previously mentioned, i also lose internet connection with the "wireless" computer. and when i unplug the router and plug it back, i get internet access on both computers for hours. i do get disconnected but it does not happen very often.

anybody can help? any suggestion as to why the lost of connection? btw, the "wireless" computer runs on xp and the "wired" computer runs on windows nt 2000.

i don't think it's the ethernet cable because i tried a usb network adapter with the "wired" computer and it still does the same thing i.e get disconnected and have to unplug and plug back the router...

it's still causing the same problem i.e with the d-link router, the connection never drops not even once whereas with the linksys router, the connection drops from time to tme and i have to unplug and plug back in the router...

the d-link is only a temporary solution... i borrowed it from a friend. i would like to use the linksys instead of buying a new one...

Routers are not expensive, and you have already proved that the Linksys is the cause of your troubles. It would be foolish and a waste of time to try and use the Linksys again

Linksys used to be better, but not so much any more. It seems like just about any other brand is better. I have a "no name" Encore that works great. I'm very impressed with it under Vista

It depends on the specific model
I can show you d-Link's that are terrific, and d-Links that are lousy. We have piles of bad LinkSys units in our trash box ready to ship back.
Netgear are usually wonderful. Belkin's are usually terrible sooner or later in our experience. SpeedStream and Best Data are usually awful in our experience. 2-Wire are very, very good with very, very poor documentation and software.
It is usefull to use the same brand of equipment throughout your network, because it makes install and trouble shooting easier... Thus I stick to three brands, and use only one brand on a job... D-Link, LinkSys, or Netgear.
Netgear is by far the best for the money over time, based on our numbers, and it is usually easier.
The only equipment that is consistently good and reliable is made by Cisco, but at their prices, it should be the very best. Because you cannot afford to go back to replace or repair something.
Of much more importance are the cable plugs and sockets. Cabling makes a greater difference than any other aspect of the networking equipment. Extra money spent on better cable, connectors and sockets is always money well spent, we find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back