Problem with Loading Windows after upgrading fan on GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

CustomRig

Hi All,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I am having some difficulty with my computer. It's quite a few years old already. Here is the stats before I did some upgrading:

P4 1.6GHz (OC to 2.2)
ECS P4VXASD2+ ATX VIA P4 Motherboard
Some generic brand 550W PSU
1 x 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM
1 x 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
1 x 80G HDD (Master)
1 x 40G HDD (Slave)
1 x DVD Writer
Window XP Pro

So as you can tell, nothing extravagant. I decided to upgrade the system and clean it up a little bit. So I took the whole thing apart, clean the CPU fan, which was FILLED with dust. Upgraded the fan on the GPU with a Vantec iCEBERQ 5 Premium Copper VGA Cooling Kit, which I think is what's causing the problem. Changed the PSU to an Ultra X2 750W. And I replace the 256MB RAM with another stick of 512 PC3200.

So after I have put it all back together, I fired it up to see if everything works. That's when the problem begins. Everything loaded ok until the Windows loading splash screen. After the splash screen, the screen just turned black, no cursor, nothing. However, I believe the screen is getting a signal because the led on the power button stayed green, rather than orange, as when the computer is off. There was no "Starting Windows" sound coming through the speaker though.

So I went ahead and restarted the machine. When it's restarted, I got the choice to start in Safe Mode, last known good config, or start normally. When I choose last known and normal, the screen stayed black. When I choose safe mode, the computer would restart after loading the system files.

As the computer keep restarting, things got worse. Now, I don't even get to the Windows loading splash screen. It would restart, no matter which startup options I choose, safe mode, safe mode with VGA, last known, normal, ... So I tried formatting the drive and reloading Windows again. The setup disk booted fine. However, when I choose to install Windows, I got a BSOD. It's giving me one line after Teechinial information:

*** STOP: 0x823CAB30 (0x00000000, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF)

I'm now stuck. I don't know what to do. Hopefully someone here can give me some idea of what I should do next. If anyone has any suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you all in advance,
rC

Pull the stick of pc3200 ram and try running it with just the 256mb of pc2100 and see if it starts up ok?
Youve made few changes except for the ram and it may be the issue...

Also make sure the system is not overclocked till you get it up and running stably..

To update. It does boot at all now.... I don't know what the issue is. It just beep 3 time, 1 beep every second. I am not sure if it's the CPU, the graphics card, or the RAM. Does anyone know if the beeps sequence differs for different parts not recognize or not functioning??

rC

To rule out the possibility that the new PSU is defective can you try reinstalling the old one back in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back