Problem with my DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeating

I finally got highspeed (yay) when i play online games such as halo, cod, combat arms, warrock, CS ect my ping is very low, always under 100 but it feels like i
m lagging bad. When i spec people they warp and look very choppy, and sometimes when i move i warp back to where i was. I think this may be a packet loss issue, but i don't know how to check. This is my speedtest.net results:

Zeating, who are you using for DSL? Has this been going on since you received your service?

Do you have a router connected to your DSL modem? Have you tried pinging any other web addresses from a dos command prompt? I had a similar problem with a pc I did a repair on once. I had it hooked up to my network. The pc had a nic built into the mobo. I installed a new nic and no more problems. If you have a spare nic card laying around, you may want to try that first to rule out your nic card. You may want to check the settings on the nic too.

Thanks for the replys, i have no router. my nic (network card right?) is built into my mobo. Realtek RTL8168C i think.. Could having no router be any problem? also, what settings should i look out for in my NIC?

it's not just packet loss you want to look for. High latency could definately be your problem.
for example:
if you are constantly pinging at 78ms and you begin to ping at 300ms. this change (if continues for several packet transfers) will cause the lag. which will have nothing to do with your nic. hope this helps

spehling is correct. If the time changes from a quicker speed to a slower speed, it would not be the network card. It could be something between your dsl modem and your provider. Na, you don't need a router. You can also get those guys (your ISP) and have them test your connection.

I dont know that I would consider 130ms to be a good thing but, are you playing online and are you uploading at all? when do you notice your lag? We can point all day long but, its my belief that this is your network connection. I was a field manager for an WISP and I dealt with this issue often. Anyone have any other ideas. I would like to see about of 5 minute ping result to whatever server your drawing from while gaming online.

I dont know that I would consider 130ms to be a good thing but, are you playing online and are you uploading at all? when do you notice your lag? We can point all day long but, its my belief that this is your network connection. I was a field manager for an WISP and I dealt with this issue often. Anyone have any other ideas. I would like to see about of 5 minute ping result to whatever server your drawing from while gaming online.

How would i do that?

Going into the game, going into the sever browser, and joining a server?

Heres my specs, if it helps

GPU: Ati Radeon 9550 Iceq4 Turbo
CPU: AMD Atlon Dual Core 4850e 2.50ghz
2gb ram
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
Network Adapter: Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Windows XP Sp3

Not a site.. its downloaded. Call of duty 4, and pretty much every other game i play. even on xbox 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back