TechSpot

Problem with my external hard drive

By gregblade
May 20, 2008
  1. Hi folks,
    Im currently using a Western Digital MyBook Pro 250 GB external hard drive as media storage to free up disc space on my Asus A6U Notebook.

After my notebook crashed last night, I gave it time to correct itself but it didn't work. So I switched off the power supply and disconnected the USB devices etc.

I then restarted the laptop and reconnected all the devices.

I went to check everything was ok and to my horror when I try to open the external hard drive from "My Computer" it says " The Drive is not Formatted, Please format the drive".

I formatted the drive when I bought it, and it has been working fine for 10 months, I had over 80gb of music and 1000's of photos.

Any ideas to get it back? Without having to fork out for a data recovery firm?

Any help will be greatly recieved!

2. gregblade

gregblade TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

Its fixed!

I took motions advice from anotherv thread and it worked a treat!

3. Tzachitx

Tzachitx TS Rookie

I have a very similar problem, please could you tell me the thread you found the solution on?

4. gregblade

gregblade TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

I cant remember the name. But I ran the diagnostic then downloaded a "Partition Table Docter 3.0. " After downloading the partition it took about 3 seconds to fix it!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.