Problem with Nero Express Ver. 5.5 and DVD-RW backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have been using Nero Express V5.5 for a very long time to backup different CDs and DVDs until recently for the very first time to backup onto DVD-RW which encounter a problem.

After I clicked on the "Disc Info", it simply says there is no medium found in the drive. But the reality is I have a brand new Imation DVD-RW disc inside and ready to backup. How can I make my Nero recognizes it so that I can backup my data on it? Please send me instruction, guides or links to help me to achieve that. I have no problem of backing up with DVD+RWs DVD+/-Rs, but have trouble with DVD-RW media. I tried another brand new Imation DVD-RW, and still with the same problem!

For your information, I am running on Win XP with SP2. It may be a easy fix and hopefully someone can guide me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers

- and + media are two different things. Your burner may not support the -RW. The - and + specify different burning technologies.

If the burner itself can support the media, you can try updating your software to a newer version.

First of all, I can't even find DVD-RW media for sale anymore. So maybe it's time to hit the museum with those, instead of trying to use them for backup media.

Second, it's prudent not to use RW media (of any flavor) for backup whatsoever . Re-writeable discs are not stable enough for this purpose. Use write only media.

Third; I had a TSST DVD drive that was pretty flaky to start with, but what it used to do to DVD-RW was both rude and spiteful. It actually burned them in such a way that it couldn't read them nor could it rewrite them. "Finalized" took on a whole new paradigm.

Don't get me wrong, I sympathize with your situation, since I have 2 stand alone DVD recorders (Pioneer) which only use -RW (or -R) media. The plot has been to record TV to RW discs, then transfer to a computer to edit and burn a final copy. The RW discs are failing at an alarming rate. When they're gone, I suppose I could make planters out of the DVRs, so all won't be lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back