Problem with new hard drive in Acer computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

davbell22602

I have acer computer and I replaced the harddrive cause I thought drive crashed. Well when I replaced it and hooking it back up. When booting the computer to install the windows xp it stops at verifying pool date...... What does that mean? I couldn't find another 160gb harddrive so i had to get a 300+ gb hardrive.

3200+ amd sempron,512mb,160gb,combo drive.ast160-us321h

Turn off PC, unplug the power cord and open the case. Remove the shiny watch type battery in there for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes insert the battery back in on the motherboard. Plug-in the power cord. When you turn on the PC go into the BIOS and change the Clock settings. Make sure the DMI (desktop management interface or system management SMBIOS can see the HDD.

The issues you were having is that the system needed to have it's CMOS (memory to hold the date, time, and system setup parameters) reset or flush out the old data.

Ok everytime I keep trying the battery fix the pc is always unplugged and doesnt work. But pc stays unplugged even when not being used right now.

I have another acer tower thats aspire t180 but the one that harddrive issues is with a aspire t160. What testing the harddrive on the t180?

I used a 164gb out of a acer aspire t180 and put it in this t160 thats been having problems with a 300gb. All its doing is rebooting itself but harddrive worked fine from of the t180. I guess this this means bad controller.

When booting the computer to install the windows xp it stops at verifying pool date...... What does that mean?
Your whole post is not very clear to me but if I understand what's happening, you should expect it to stop there because the BIOS isn't detecting a bootable disk. It appears to me that you haven't set the BIOS to boot from the CD drive first. If you did, it shouldn't have reached verifying pool data. Anyway, I'm a little confused about what you've done.

I used a 164gb out of a acer aspire t180 and put it in this t160 thats been having problems with a 300gb. All its doing is rebooting itself but harddrive worked fine from of the t180. I guess this this means bad controller.

it boots up flashes a blue screen then continues booting up then reboots at the black screen where the windows xp logos for getting ready to start windows and keeps repeating itself.

The 300 gb does is stops at verifying pool data when booting. I cant even boot from a disc at this point.

I havent done anything to the bios at this point.I was told from another computer forum to try another hardrive. That forum thinks its a bad controller or something with bios.

In order to boot from the Windows disk you must enter the BIOS or the boot menu to change the boot device order. The CD/DVD drive must be first.

By any chance is this the first time you have installed Windows XP?

No, not the first time. This the first time coming across this type of problem.

In order to boot from the Windows disk you must enter the BIOS or the boot menu to change the boot device order. The CD/DVD drive must be first.

By any chance is this the first time you have installed Windows XP?

I haven't even got to that point yet on booting from windows disc yet. When boots it stops at verifying pool data.

I havent done anything to the bios at this point.
It won't boot from the Windows CD until you set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS. Or is it already set this way?

its already set for that. I havent gotten to the point where the PC recongizes the windows cd yet. It stops verfying pool data when booting up on a empty harddrive. I was told by friend tech to see if the bios are recongizing the 300gb in the bios. Another friend said its probably bad controller.

Are the hard drives and CD drives IDE? If so, are the jumpers set correctly? Could the cable be bad? Are the hard drive and CD drive on the same controller?

I think, as this system is not completing POST. So mailpup's suggestion about changing cable is reasonable one, otherwise it may be the controller issue.

both It does this on both cd roms. I even went out and bought another cd rom drive (dvd writer). Its does this on both drives. This system came with one cd rom drive. I just swapped them out. The PC only had one harddrive in it. The harddrive didnt have a white jumper with it when I bought it at the store.

Probability is its a hardware problem then, as this hypothesis is supported by your earlier comment that "hard drive worked fine from of the t180".

The 300gb was never tried on t180. I just tried 164gb harddrive off the t180 to see what happens when putting it in the T160 where 300gb is having issues.

I edited post #17. I tried harddrive out the T180 in the T160 and was experiencing automatic rebooting issues. The harddrive in the T180 has xp media on it.

You won't be able to boot one computer's hdd (with xp on it) on another computer (windows usually don't like different motherboards for obvious reasons).

Now if your 180 is working fine you may take the hdd which is not working to that computer and add it as a secondary hard drive in it; boot with that computer's hard drive and see what happens, does the 300gb hard drive shows up?

Update

I just a chance today back on this issue. I'm currently installing windows xp on it in the Acer Asphire T180 w/320 gig hd since it wont work in the T160. So far the pc is taking the installation and currently formating the drive. The T160 wouldnt go as far as to format the drive. Will post back on any problems that accur and how it went.

The 320 gig hd in the Acer Asphire T180 formatted and installed windows xp with no problems. So I guess this is a controller problem with the T160.

That seems very reasonable conclusion, also ensure that the data / power cables have no issues of their own. Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back