Problem with new SATA HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

laptox

I am trying to replace a sata HDD in a pc. Ive done this loads of times with IDE - but not so many with SATA.

I left the jumpers alone on the new drive - put in - the bios sees it - but when i put the xp cd in - it goes through sees the HDD - formats NTFS - copies the files - but then when it reboots - it comes up with error loading operating system - have tried different xp cd's and even moving the jumper.................any ideas folks

the motherboard is ASUS and the new HDD is by MDT

On some systems there are problems loading SATA drivers because because the SATA driver you need does not come embedded in the Windows XP installation package. One thing to consider remember when installing XP is that no XP CD that I know of supports SATA drives natively. It may have to be rebuilt in to the CD or installed before using a regular CD.
Usually, you can find the software you need on the website of each hard drive manufacturer or on the website of the computer manufacturer.
You will find MDT hard disk tools here, and with a gurgle search :
http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/mdt-hard-disk-tools.html
But be aware that MDT hard drives are known for trouble among many computer technicians

On some systems there are problems loading SATA drivers because because the SATA driver you need does not come embedded in the Windows XP installation package. One thing to consider remember when installing XP is that no XP CD that I know of supports SATA drives natively. It may have to be rebuilt in to the CD or installed before using a regular CD.
Usually, you can find the software you need on the website of each hard drive manufacturer or on the website of the computer manufacturer.
You will find MDT hard disk tools here, and with a gurgle search :
http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/mdt-hard-disk-tools.html
But be aware that MDT hard drives are known for trouble among many computer technicians

Thanks - What exasctly am I searching for ? - Hard disk controller drivers ? - I see loads of references to ezdisk or something but can never quite find a download ? - any suggestions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back