TechSpot

Problem with OCing (1st time)

By mootz
Aug 28, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. well i have tried alot of times to OC my new rig and it isn't working! :|
    i did it in the BIOS 1st changing FSB to 333 etc. and all that did was stop the PC booting up.
    I had to clear CMOS to get it running again!

now i've tried with EasyTune5 gigabytes OCing software... soon as i click go to make the changes my PC crashes.

what's wrong? :(

my CPU is a Q6600 (well capable of 3Ghz)
    mobo = gigabyte 965P-DS3
    RAM (if that matters) = 4x1GB patriot DDR2

edit: oh and i'm using an 850W PSU and vista ultimate x64
  2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

Firstly, alot of times the in OS OCing software is unreliable and is prone to cause crashes. Ive had a few my self (actually they were more freezes than crashes).

Have you tried smaller increments, like instead of 1066->1333 try 1066-.1200?

Also i remember my bios had a glitch were if i set the ram and fsb to "linked" mode, i crash. Try resetting to default and chageing just the fsb to 1200 or 300.
    Im not sure whats wrong but thats a big power supply...what graphics card are you running?
  3. mootz

mootz TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

ATI 4850
    the PSU came as 850W because i ordered a 650W but they had no stock :p

anyway i've fixed my OCing problem now, apparently it's because my RAM couldn't take it so i changed ram settings down to 830Mhz (i think) and it's running now at 3.02Ghz on stock voltage.

temperatures are slightly higher than i planned (45C idle - 66C under load) but the stock heatsink is only temporary. :)
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

Ah i see...thats happened to me too. My ram rated at DDR2 1100 is running at 900 MAX now :/. didn't even tweak it.

Anyway thats the end of this thread it think.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.