Problem with OCing (1st time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mootz

well i have tried alot of times to OC my new rig and it isn't working! :|
i did it in the BIOS 1st changing FSB to 333 etc. and all that did was stop the PC booting up.
I had to clear CMOS to get it running again!

now i've tried with EasyTune5 gigabytes OCing software... soon as i click go to make the changes my PC crashes.

what's wrong? :(

my CPU is a Q6600 (well capable of 3Ghz)
mobo = gigabyte 965P-DS3
RAM (if that matters) = 4x1GB patriot DDR2

edit: oh and i'm using an 850W PSU and vista ultimate x64

Firstly, alot of times the in OS OCing software is unreliable and is prone to cause crashes. Ive had a few my self (actually they were more freezes than crashes).

Have you tried smaller increments, like instead of 1066->1333 try 1066-.1200?

Also i remember my bios had a glitch were if i set the ram and fsb to "linked" mode, i crash. Try resetting to default and chageing just the fsb to 1200 or 300.
Im not sure whats wrong but thats a big power supply...what graphics card are you running?

ATI 4850
the PSU came as 850W because i ordered a 650W but they had no stock :p

anyway i've fixed my OCing problem now, apparently it's because my RAM couldn't take it so i changed ram settings down to 830Mhz (i think) and it's running now at 3.02Ghz on stock voltage.

temperatures are slightly higher than i planned (45C idle - 66C under load) but the stock heatsink is only temporary. :)

Ah i see...thats happened to me too. My ram rated at DDR2 1100 is running at 900 MAX now :/. didn't even tweak it.

Anyway thats the end of this thread it think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back