Problem with power supply

tysdad

power recently went out and so did my mothers pc. i bought and installed a new power supply since the pc would not even power on. got the power supply in and it turn on but i get a message on the screen that says disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. so i opened it back up and checked all the wires and still get the same message. went in the settings and made sure the hd boots first. also in the settings next to where it says hd it says none. its like the hd is not being recognized.

all and any help is greatly apprecited.

thanks,
joe

Can you confirm that there are two leads connected to each hard disk in question, and that the data lead, is connected to the motherboard?

It could be that you have simply not connected a lead correctly, or it could be the hard disk failed when the PSU did.

Hi tysdad,
I think you could have lost your hdd, please tough and feel if the hdd is moving while the michine is powered on, if you can't hear it, then change the power cable (yellow and black or 12v and 5v) and make sure that its tight.
If it fails, then disconnect the data cable, if its sata, then disconnect the small cable on the hdd, but if its IDE, then just disconnect the Big 40pin cable, then trying connecting the power without the ide and sata / data, if it failes then you may have to change the hdd...
Cheers

thanks for the quick responses. the cables are all connected correctly. i like tripple checked the cables. didnt feel or hear the hd running. is there any other way i can test the hd. the first time i turened it on after putting in the new ps the pc went on and the desktop screen came on but the a blue screen poped up with white letters and before i could read it the pc shut off and now i get the message i posted.

i have a newer pc that is working can i hook that hd up as a slave to see if it works? if so do i need to change the pins on he back of the hd?

Yes you can do that :)

IDE will have three settings.. Master, Slave, or Cable select. Just make sure the jumper is set to cable select.

just checked the other pc that will not work as the new pc is sata. is there any other ways to test the hd?

think im just going to get a new hd is there any specs that i need to address? also if i install a new hd how difficult is it? she didnt have anything saved on the old hd she wanted its only like a 60gb hd. i have the product key and the setup cd. also is it i just install the hd format windows and thats it? or do i need other things? it is a old pc but good fior her. i was wondering if maybe the ide cable is bad because its a bestbuy hp tower and everything is cramed in there the ide wire is twisted and bent every wich way.

Firstly, can your computer support SATA devices?

If so, get a SATA disk. If not, go for PATA (IDE your current device).

You will need the driver discs for your driivers for network, audio, chipset, possibly USB, etc etc. If your installing Windows 7 this isn't usually needed.

Essentially:

1. Remove old hard disk
  2. Set jumpers (to that of old disk if PATA) and install new disk
  3. Boot from Windows setup CD
  4. Follow instructions to install Windows (you will format as NTFS and install to new hard disk)
  5. Install drivers for audio, chipset, etc etc
  6. Run Windows update, install Java, Flash, Shockwave, Anti-virus and other previous installed software etc and your good to go.

no sata its to old. running xp i know how to format and install windows. the thing i dont get is the drivers and stuff how do i know where to get them from or will windows find them itself? how do i know what drivers i need? you have been extremly helpfull.

thank you

You can get the drivers from your computer manufacturer's website...Whats the make and model of the computer?

Usually the best way (I find) is to download the drivers with another computer, and burn them to a disc, and then once the operating system has been installed, you can reboot and then install the drivers in one go.

The main ones you need are network (LAN and Wireless if fitted), your chipset drivers, graphics driver (if dedicated GPU), and audio.

(Also add to above)... You should be able to get all your drivers from the HP site, go to the support section.
http://welcome.hp.com/country/uk/en/cs/support-drivers.html
Use an ethernet (CAT 5E) cable to connect to your modem while you are getting these drivers, as it will work with the most basic XP installation. (i.e. you won't be able to use wireless until you get all the drivers from HP.)
Look for the double-monitor icon in the taskbar, lower-right, it will show as 'active' when you connect to the net using a cable.

I never had a single XP installation work via network off of the bat. That didn't start happening til much later on with other OS'.

well got my new hard drive today put it in and prepared to boot using windows cd. and windows told me there was no hard drive in the machine leading me to think the old hd may be ok and there may be another problem. any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated.

thank you

nope. thinking possibly that the ide cable could be damaged because it is so tight in the case and it has been bent every which way. or maybe possible the new power supply is faulty heard that happens alot. i donk know what else to do. i may buy a new cable and check that and i guy i work with has a psu tester so i may test that.

yay!!!!! finally figured it out. went back and checked all the connections which were fine. then unplugged the all to inspect them. sure enough the harness that hooks up to the motherboard had a wire that wasent set all the way in the harness. so i pushed all the wires to make sure they set properly and bingo. she fired right up with the original hd with no problem. so glad this was it. i didnt want to have to put more money into this pc or rebuild another. may set the other hd i got as a slave for her.

thanks again for all the help and quick responses you guys and gals rock!!!

Back