TechSpot

Problem with RAID drives

By Terry Haney
May 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I have an active post in "other hardware". Here is my situation:
    Hello all. I am new here, and so this is my first thread. I have peiced computers together in the past, but I am by no means a pro, or even a talented enthusiest. What I am trying to do now is more of an upgrade. I bought a computer from ADK in 2007. It is a video/audio computer, and ADK did a great job. I would highly reccommend them. If I wasn't trying to save some money I would go back to them, but I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible (meaning I would like to keep as much as I can from this computer to use).

Here is what I currently have: Antec Titon 650 case with Thermalake 700w. Intel board DP35DP; 3 PCIe, 1 IDE, 8xSATA, Glan, 8xUSB2, 2xTI firewire. Intel Quad Core Q6600,2.40 GHz, 1066 FSB, 8MB Cache. Coolmaster Mars - RR-CCX-W9U1-GP fan. 2 Vantec 80mm Stealth fans - very quiet. SuperTalent DDR2 PC5300 CL4 240 pin RAM (1GBx3). HD1=Seagate 80 GB ATA100/7200rpm. Raid zero array 2 Seagate 640 x2, Seagate 320GB x1. Video XFX nVidia GeForce 8600GTS 256MB, PCIe 675MHz, 2 DVI HDCP PCIe. PIONEER DVR112B Dual Layer DVD-RW drive. Windows XP Pro 32 bit. 2 Monitors.

I want to replace the MB with a Z77 MB,and the CPU with an i73770K. I will need to upgrade the RAM to DDR3 2400 (Preferably 16GB). I want to change the OS to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Here are my newb questions:

Will I need to replace my Video card?
    Can I use the same case and fans?
    Can I use the same HDs and the same RAID 0 Array (I know nothing about RAID) ?
    I was hoping to not have to replace anything more than the MB CPU, RAM and OS. I do want to replace the DVD for a blu ray burner. Can anyone spot something I may be missing?​

Here is my current problem now that I have built the 2 PC's:​
    The problem is now the ADK PC doesn't recognize the hard drives. It sees the SSD drive. I have checked the drives with an external SATA harness (BlacX) box and the drives are not bad, but it tells me I need to format them. I have music and video I don't (can't) loose. I am afraid to set the bios to disable RAID for fear of loosing files. I don't know which drives are RAID. I just loaded the drives into the goof-off PC and moved the data from one drive to the other, although some files would not move? This probably means it is a raid drive and these files are saved across multiple drives (?). Am I right in assuming that these drives are not recognized because of the RAID 0 setup? I am trying to save what I can, but does this mean I need to re-format these drives? Thanks for all the help! What do you guys think? I don't really understand RAID.​

Does anyone have experience with undoing a raid configuration?​
    Thanks. Terry​

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,029   +913

3. Terry Haney

Terry Haney TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

This article never explained undoing a raid. It was more about back up issues. Interesting, but didn't really help.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,029   +913

I think your best bet is to reformat. There may be other options that I am unaware of though.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,449   +324

Rule 1:- don't use RAID of any form as the boot disk; even MS does not recommend it.

comment:- Everyone assumes that
    • Raid-0 will improve performance in a major way
    • Raid-1 will allow me to not be concerned about backups
    BOTH are fallacious! Average Joe (home) User has no need for raid-x and it only complicates your life - - as you are now discovering :sigh:

JC713 likes this.
  6. Terry Haney

RAID was good for my video/audio streaming/editing, etc, but now with the SSD drive I see no need for it. I did end up reformatting. My windows 7 doesn't show these non-raid drives though. They are there in device manager, but I can't see them in "my computer" or computer with Win 7. So I am wondering how I will save work to these drives?

I was also able to save 99.9% of my data, on an external TB drive. This made me happy. I still don't understand why I can't see them. They show in device manager and in Bios, but I don't know how to assign a drive letter to them (d drive, e drive, etc).

7. jobeard

Using the Disk Manager, do they show up and if so, what does the partition look like - - does it even HAVE partitions?

8. Terry Haney

They have no partitions. They are unallocated. When I right click to initialize it says it can't do it. It's strange.

9. jobeard

BINGO! Every drive must have at least ONE partition.

Add one and then initialize it

10. Terry Haney

That was it. Thanks!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.