Problem With Restart After Installing Windows XP SP3

By jannerbexter
May 7, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys. I would have liked my first post to have been one saying hello and introducing myself but alas it's not to be.

About an hour ago I downloaded and installed XP SP3 on my PC. Then it all went wrong. During the reboot, my machine gets as far as the black Windows XP screen with the moving blue dotted line and then starts rebooting. It then brings up the start windows normally etc screen. I have tried all the options on this screen but to no avail. Obviously I set restore points before installing but cant get that far. I had a bad feeling about this install and wish I had gone with my instincts!! Can anybody offer any help at all before I have to start again? I would be eternally grateful.
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Can you boot into Safe Mode? If not, you will probably have to re-install XP. All your data will fine as long as you dont format.
  3. Larissa

Larissa Newcomer, in training

System Restore will work in Safe Mode

I had the same problem when I tried restarting after installing SP3. I started the computer in safe mode, it prompted me with a yes or no question when I started in safe mode and stated that if I planned to do a system restore to click "No". So I clicked no and proceeded with a system restore that was successful. The computer rebooted and started just as it had before I installed xp sp3. I am now trying to find out why sp3 caused this problem. If anyone can find out why please let me know. Thanks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.