Problem with unrar command line on mac os x

Hello,

I followed some website instructions to get winrar to work on a mac using the terminal. I was able to get both the rar and unrar command lines to work, but at some point when I try to use unrar I get the following:

Would you like to replace the existing file /Users/Bart/Documents/.DS_Store
18436 bytes, modified on 2016-06-28 01:02
with a new one
18436 bytes, modified on 2016-06-28 01:00

[Y]es, [N]o, [A]ll, n[E]ver, [R]ename, [Q]uit e

The .DS_Store is not part of the file extension that I want to unzip, and whatever I select in terms of options the .rar file is not unzipped. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Hello,

I followed some website instructions to get winrar to work on a mac using the terminal. I was able to get both the rar and unrar command lines to work, but at some point when I try to use unrar I get the following:

Would you like to replace the existing file /Users/Bart/Documents/.DS_Store
18436 bytes, modified on 2016-06-28 01:02
with a new one
18436 bytes, modified on 2016-06-28 01:00

[Y]es, [N]o, [A]ll, n[E]ver, [R]ename, [Q]uit e

The .DS_Store is not part of the file extension that I want to unzip, and whatever I select in terms of options the .rar file is not unzipped. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Also, other files it wants to replace come from the "rar" folder that I downloaded from the WinRAR website. To try to remedy the problem, I deleted the executable "rar" and "unrar" files from the bin folder that I was instructed to copy them into, I deleted the "rar" folder completely, and tried to reinstall again from scratch but the problem persists.

Yes this is an ancient thread - - so what!

the .DS_Store is a 'dumb' file and will reside in every folder on a Mac that's accessed by Windows :sigh:

• delete the file before you unzip/unrar
  • OR
  • just overwrite it
For sanity, delete .DS_Store when the unpack is complete (it's from a different system anyway)

Did you notice: .DS_Store is a hidden file?

Back