1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with upgrading RAM in Asus Eee PC 1000HD

By pioneerx01 ยท 5 replies
Feb 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Friend of mine has ASUS EEE PC 1000HD fully working with 1GB stock RAM (DDR2 PC2 5300 - one slot only). I have bought 2GB DDR2 PC2 5300 (Corsair) as an upgrade, but when I pop new ram in PC does nothing. It turns on, but nothing on screen, no beeps, or error codes. It just sits there.

I would run memtest, but it is a small PC with no CD drive, and I do not have external one. Would I be correct in assuming that the ram is DOA?

Also this PC was bought in Europe. I am not sure about the differences between our ASUS EEE PC 1000HD and theirs.

Thanks

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

Does it still work with the old RAM? If so you may have got a faulty Ram module.

3. pioneerx01

pioneerx01 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 274

Yes old 1GB is just fine

4. Mark56

You did remove the Battery pack before changing the Ram?? If you did then the new Ram should be returned for a replacement. If you left the battery connected during the swap over then you may have blown the module yourself. I have not been able to check the specifications of your mobo but I would be very surprised if it is not compatible with a 2GB Ram stick. Even if it is not it should still work, it just wouldn't show the extra memory.

5. pioneerx01

pioneerx01 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 274

Yes, I took out the battery and I grounded myself as well.

According to multiple sites 1000HD is capable of handling up to 2GB. ASUS website is a little vague:

"*Memory size may differ and is upgradable, please contact local dealers for more details"

6. Mark56

Then clearly the new stick is faulty and you should return it to the supplier for a replacement.