TechSpot

Problem with using shortcuts

By woodsman
Sep 2, 2009
  1. I am new to Tech Spot but everything I have read so far looks great. Everyone seems very friendly and helpful. I will do my best to follow suit. I have windows xp and am using Fire Fox as my browser. I made some changes very late last night and can't remember exactly what they were. I was trying to fix a problem clicking on links in my emails ( outlook) . I fixed the problem but now when I click on a shortcut to a website from my desktop I get a dialog box that says " windows cannot find" whatever website the shortcut is for " make sure you typed the name correctly and try again or click on search...." but then the web page opens anyway. I have tried to correct this but am at a loss. Any suggestions? It is just annoying. The web page still opens but I have to click "OK" in this message box first. Thanks.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Time to do a clean install from a cold boot, and keep notes. These early steps are critical to a properly running Windows machine.

3. woodsman

woodsman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you my friend, I really appreciate it! Keep smiling!

4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

No, no! Don't do a new install for this small problem!

First of all: don't make changes late at night when you're tired- unless you write every one of them down!

Second, shortcuts- whether they are ones you've created on the desktop or have in a toolbar, can get corrupt. Same for Bookmarks.
    Enter the URL fresh in the Address bar> if you can access this way, make a new shortcut and delete the previous shortcuts/

Another thing that will cause a shortcut to fail is if a site is being worked on or has been changed in some way. In that case, best to clean out your temp files- get rid of saved URL that no longer work.
    Try this one:

TFC (Temp File Cleaner)

Download TFC to your desktop
    • Open the file and close any other windows.
    • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
    • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.

It's a lot easier to throw out old shortcuts and create new ones than it is is to reinstall for a minor issue.

5. brucethetech

brucethetech TS Enthusiast Posts: 229

See what happens when you divert from standard microsoft products......
    I have to agree with bobbye on this one just dump the temp files

6. woodsman

Thanks Bobbye. I ran THC and I tried to delete the old shortcuts and put in new ones, but the same box pops up " Windows can't find " which ever website the shortcut is for. But then the web page opens anyway even though the dialog box says it can't find it. I am sure it must be something simple like a box that I checked or unchecked in "internet properties" or something, but despite looking , I could not find it. But I never give up. Thanks for your help my friend!

7. Bobbye

Okay, I'd like for you to do the following:

1) Give me an example of one of the websites that has the delayed opening- the URL.
    2) Next time you get the error message-or force it if you need to-check the computer clock for the time- then look in the Event Viewer and see if there is an Error that corresponds to the time of the message:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
      [2]. Look for the Error>
      [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
      [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
      [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
      [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on error message

3) Which version of Firefox are you using? There are two out currently: v3.0.15 and v3.5.2.

4) Try to access the same site using Internet Explorer> tell me result.

8. woodsman

quick fix

Thanks again for all your help. I did some experimenting and the problem was only when I used Firefox. So I switched to Internet Explorer and the problem is fixed. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me with this problem, not everyone would have gone through so much trouble. Your friend, woodsman.

9. Bobbye

Okay, so there is some problem with the Firefox install. Would you like to work on that? It's a good browser- I've been using it since it first came out with the final release- must be about 4 years now.

Once you get it set up, you can get add-ons as you need them and set up your home page to open with the loaded- mine opens with 7 tabs set so when I launch Firefox, the sites load.

Glad to help. Let me know about Firefox.

10. CAMusing

CAMusing TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

It amazes me how many shoot from the hip recommendations for a clean install are thrown out there before some forethought and a little common sense in troubleshooting a relative minor problem. Bobbye is to be commended.

11. Bobbye

I appreciate your saying that! To me, a reformat/reinstall should only be done when all else fails- not because you don't know how to troubleshoot.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.