TechSpot

Problem with VLC portable app

By learninmypc
May 14, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. I have 700 mb's of tunes on a flashdrive I wanted to play at a friends place & so I installed the http://portableapps.com/ portable version of VLC on the same flashdrive & it worked on mine yet when I tried it on his pc, it didn't & he said it was because he don't have VLC on his pc.
    Confused, I removed it from my pc & sure enough the portable VLC didn't work. Why??

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

Bad install of the portable. it is accessing resource on the installed version on the PC.

You have the right approach;
    • uninstall the PC version
    • download the portable and move it to a flashdrive
    • try that version.
    if good, copy it to the other FD

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 6,611   +336

Thanks, will give it a try. :)

4. learninmypc

Ok, did as you said but it didn't work like it does on the pc. Maybe its not supposed to, I'll continue to tinker with it. :)

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

Portable may not be exactly like the PC - - question is does it run at all?

6. learninmypc

Playing individual songs on the flashdrive does work, just not ALL in the folder.
    Perhaps I'll try WMP portable :) Thank you @jobeard

7. Siavash

Siavash TS Booster Posts: 65   +19

Audacious is a nice alternative, no installation required.

8. learninmypc

@Siavash , are you suggesting that from experience or not & did you read this thread? Just curious. I've had that program in the past but for reasons I don't remember, I got rid of it. :)

9. Siavash

Siavash TS Booster Posts: 65   +19

@learninmypc Nope, I was just passing by but couldn't miss the opportunity to increase my post count :D Joking aside, I've used Audacious for about 2 years on Linux and was pretty happy with that. It was pretty lightweight and capable of playing popular music formats; just switched to Amarok lately because of better KDE integration.

The Windows version is a portable (no installation required) 20MB zip file, after extraction head into the "bin" folder and run the "audacious.exe" executable to enjoy your musics. audacious-3.6.1-win32.zip

10. learninmypc

Ok, but first of all, the purpose of this thread is/was to find out why a portable app don't work like it is supposed to do. I've used FF portable on same computer at my friends place & it worked fine.
    In my opinion, I should be able to use VLC on his pc even thou he don't have it. So no, I can't download Audacios on his just to try it out. But thanks for the thought :)