Problem with WiFi connectivity

Rummat

Being new to this website, I request you to excuse me if I have not followed any accepted protocol in posting a problem.

I am facing a peculiar problem with my WiFi connectivity. I have an IBM Thinkpad running Windows 7 Professional and an older HP Computer running Windows XP. Both are connected to the internet through WiFi connectivity. Two days ago, I switched off the WiFi Radios on the two computers to do some work and backup large files from the two hard disks. When I switched the radios back on, they now no longer are able to connect to the WiFi router and therefore do not allow me access to the internet. However, when I connect them to the router using an Ethernet cable, I can access the internet.

When I attempt to search nearby networks, I can see my network (so my network router is discoverable, and is visible). But when I try to connect to the router, the attempt fails with the message “Windows was unable to connect to the network”. I have tried deleting the network through network manager, modifying the profile etc. but nothing has worked. But I have an IPhone and an android phone, and both are able to connect to the internet through the WiFi router.

Strangely, I took my laptop to another location where a different network and a public router is available for use. The laptop was able to discover the network router and connected to the router in a jiffy and allowed me access to the internet. I presume it implies that adapter drivers are up-to-date.

So what I understand from the situation is as below:
  • Since my Android and IPhone can connect wirelessly to my router, the router seems to be working OK.
  • Since both my laptops can connect to the router and the internet through Ethernet cable, the internet access seems to be working OK.
  • Since I am able to access and connect to the internet wirelessly on another network away from my home router and network, the network accessing drivers and capabilities on my laptop seem to be working OK.
So I cannot figure out why my laptops cannot connect to the internet from the home-router.
Any help in resolving this issue would be a great help.

Please help…!!! :):'(

Frequently, there's a slide-switch to enable the antenna AND a enable/disable for the adapter in the Device Mgr;

turn on the switch, make sure the adapter does not show red or yellow flags and it is enabled

Frequently, there's a slide-switch to enable the antenna AND a enable/disable for the adapter in the Device Mgr;

turn on the switch, make sure the adapter does not show red or yellow flags and it is enabled

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes I did check the slide switches, and both are in the "ON" position and the wireless antenna lights showed green on both of them. This is also confirmed by the fact that the same computer connected to the internet almost within a minute when I took it to another network/router location.

Have you rebooted?
Yes I did that. I rebooted a number of times. After switching on the slider switches, after deleting network references, after connecting through Ethernet cable, after rebooting the router a couple of times. But it did not work on any instance. Then I switched off the laptop and brought it to the other location as I mentioned. Then I fired it up and it connected to the network router at the other place absolutely smoothly.

DISABLE the ethernet when you attempt WiFi - - sometimes they get confused

Open Network & Sharing Center
left side: Change Adapter Settings
  • right-click Local Area Connection->Disable
  • right-click Wireless Network-> make sure it is NOT disabled

I got it. I will attempt to re-connect to WiFi after disabling Ethernet and see if it works to connect to the original network router where I was having the problem.

Tried that option. Disabled the Ethernet connection. Shut down my laptop and then re-started it. Shut down and restarted the wireless internet router.

The laptop still would not connect to the internet wirelessly, even though it does connect through Ethernet. Help is desperately needed. Any suggestion is welcome. :)

Thanks.

All signs point to updating the wifi drivers --
  • First, UNINSTALL IT
  • use wired connection to DL fresh copy
  • Install the newest one

Be sure its a connectivity problem by;
  • ping 8.8.8.8
  • ping yahoo.com
  1. both will fail if there's no connection
  2. both will succeed if wifi connectivity is ok
  3. if (1) is ok but (2) fails, then it's a DNS problem

Sorry for the late response. In response to your suggestions, here is what I have done:

DISABLED Ethernet then rebooted and tried to connect - did not work.
On COMMAND prompt, reset the DNS, reset the Winsock, reset the ipV4 and ipv6 stacks
Then got the address of the router through Ipconfig and pinged the router.

Pinging worked when the Ethernet was connected, but failed with a message "Can not transmit" when trying to connect wirelessly.

Have tried all combinations that I could think of. The only thing I have not done yet is to uninstall the WiFi driver on my laptop and reinstall it (or get a newer version from the website - and then reinstall it).

Other than that, I am completely stressed out.

Here is what I have done since I have experienced wireless non-connectivity on my Lenovo Thinkpad L420 running Windows 7 Professional. The wireless device is Intel Centrino Advanced N-6205. The steps that I am describing below were done today.

1. Uninstalled wireless driver an d disabled Ethernet driver. Shutdown and restarted the computer and router.

2. Upon startup the computer automatically detected the wireless device driver and installed it successfully. Enabled Ethernet and connected to the internet successfully.. But tried connecting to internet through wireless and failed to connect.

3. Installed Lenovo Service Bridge through Ethernet cable and downloaded latest version of Intel Centrino device driver. When attempting to update, the computer displays "Driver is upto date" message.

4. Ran CMD as administrator. Ran Ipconfig command which showed that Ethernet is connected but wireless media is disconnected.

5. Ran Ipconfig release and renew command. The Ethernet renewed, but no action happened on the wireless connections as media is disabled.

6. Ran netsh command to reset the ip stack and then shut down and re-started the computer.

7. Still the computer cannot connect to the internet through the wireless, though it connects through Ethernet.

I am truly at my wits end to see what more should I try to get the wireless connection on my computer running again.

Using the Device Mgr, your WiFi driver must NOT be flagged with a Red or Yellow mark - - if so, the driver needs an update.

Go to Network Sharing: left side, Change Adapter Settings
  1. DISABLE the Local Lan Connection device
  2. Enable the WiFi device
make the connection to your router
* get the cmd prompt and ping 8.8.8.8; Does that work?
* then ping yahoo.com; does that work?

UNTIL these both work, your browser NEVER will

Back