Problem with Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

phper

I keep getting BSOD and I don't know why... here is my minidump:

I'm also getting random freezes which I don't think is hardware related because I also ran prime95 all night and it worked (for some reason it didn't freeze.) and memtest all night and it passed fine with no errors... I also don't think it's my PSU because Windows XP doesn't do it, and Windows Vista use to NOT do BSOD and random freezing.

I also just formatted and installed newest drivers so I'm not sure if there is conflictions... Here is my hijackthis report:

I'm willing to reformat and try older drivers but my system is running so pristine other then the random restarts/bsod and freezes... So I want to make sure what is causing this, with the information provided you guys should be able to figure it out. Since my system is so clean and new as you can see by hijack this it should be easier to narrow down the culprit, even though I'm sure it's driver conflictions.

The only other possible scenario is PSU issues but I think I narrowed that out since Windows XP doesn't die on me and my system runs fine during game sand full loads and randomly reboots while doing nothing but typing this thesis =)

thanks.

In Mini Dump 062908-01:
BugCheck C5, {168, 2, 0, 820e8874}
Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExDeferredFreePool+170 )
Info About This In .dmp file

DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL (c5)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is
caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool. Run the driver
verifier against any new (or suspect) drivers, and if that doesn't turn up
the culprit, then use gflags to enable special pool.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000168, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: 820e8874, address which referenced memory

It is talking about your new drivers basically i think it means they are the wrong drivers for the system.
I think by your post you are saying you run Windows XP as well as Windows Vista so you might want to try going back to the old drivers as bobm said.

I was installing drivers off of a CD at one point which could have been the problem since the CD was labeled (drivers for Windows XP.) also with that fixed or figured out atleast, what could be the cause for my most random reboots/freezes? Windows XP does not do this AT ANY point... it just seems weird to me Windows Vista is starting to have all of these problems... Drivers I was using:

I was using the drivers off the XP disc for my HD audio realtek...
I was using 7.12 drivers from ATI's site.
and I was using the newest chipset drivers from MSI...

so you guys think the HD audio realtek drivers could have been the cause? I'm at such a loss, Vista didn't do this before I formatted and has ever since and I'm bent on the drivers being the main cause... but I still can't pinpoint the restart/freezes... can I do any tests to figure it out? memtest and prime95 passed so those are out of the picture...

Well I installed the newest drivers for each component off of their site before and I got BSOD but it gave me DIFFERENT minidump problems then this one, it seems the OLD drivers may have solved my BSOD... but I might have got the wrong ones like you said (windows XP ones.) so that could be it alltogether... my main concern is the freezing/restarting at this point.

Your error is 0x000000C5: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

This is almost always caused by drivers that have corrupted the system pool. If you’ve recently installed any new software, check to see if it’s properly installed; and check for updated drivers on the manufacturer’s web site.

The issue is what drivers are causing the corruption and if you accidently installed the wrong ones you will have to make sure all the wrong ones are completely removed.

RealTek has been known to have to be updated.

Do you have any more minidumps that are recent?

yeah

Yeah I have others I posted here:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic106708.html

I don't really understand what they mean, someone posted a defined version but didn't give me much information... Could someone explain to me what it means?? The reason I don't think it's hardware related is because XP doesn't do it and Vista use to work fine before a recent format, so IT MUST be some type of driver relation...

I read the previous post which I had also answered in. As a side note Vista is more demanding of resources than XP.

I read those minidumps before and they are 0x124 which means there is a hardware error but what hardware we don't know.

Have you run a full harddrive diagnostics?

also what I don't get is if this is hardware why did vista work fine... then I format and it stops working?? wouldn't that indict drivers issues? or are you trying to sayI have hardware driver issues?? or are you saying that I need to replace hardware?? what would you suggest first as I'm on a tight budget, I would assume my PSU or HDD could be the cause?

I also read his topics, indeed his symptoms are very similar! but the problem with mine is... it BSOD random... I could get a WHOLE day w/o them then BAM just have it popup OR I could get it right when the desktop goes to loadup... I'm under the assumptions It's one of these 3 componnents:

Harddrive, because it's old and I need a replacement.
Motherboard, possibly some type of onboard conflictions? (motherboard packages DOES SAY vista certified though.)

or my video card... which is most unlikely because changing drivers/video meg didn't seem to help....

so any diagnostics toosl? western digital HD checkers or anything I can run to try and narrow this down?

Every reputable harddrive manufacturer provides a free utility that analyzes their harddrives. Find the manufacturer of your harddrive, go to their website, download their utility, install and run.

I can't tell you what hardware it is because the minidumps don't say. That is why you are being directed to take the steps given you.

what steps have been given to me? can you give me some, I'm so lost... a lot of what Kim has said doesn't make sense and it doesn't look like he/she took time to read my posts as I said I've formatted many times to no avail...

Can you give me some troubleshoot options?

ok I ran the Western Digital Safeguard Diagnostics Tool. SMART was a pass... I ran the extended test and it came out with a pass.. also did the quick SMART test and passed... So that probably confirms that:

RAM
HDD
CPU

is out of the question due to: memtest/prime95 and the WD utility.... so it basically leaves us with:

Drivers
Motherboard
GPU
PSU

and since my Windows XP runs fine I'm going to probably eliminate:

PSU
GPU

which leaves us with the motherboard and drivers... since Vista worked fine before I'm going to take that into account as a positive assumption, if anyone disagrees could you please help me troubleshoot?

I'm going to install Vista ONE MORE time with old drivers and I'm going to test that 64MB theory and a few of those other options JUST TO SEE if that could be it...until then please post away.

ya

bump again... wow I can't believe with the minidumps/hijack this and all the information I provided not ONE person can help me?

oh yeah

and I doubt it's any settings ino bios etc. because like I stated 10 times, IT DIDn't DO THIS BEFORE my last format... now it does.
I guess since worse comes worse you guys could give me a list of items to start upgrading to Vista compatable ones??
if I can't find an answerI atleast wnat to know the possible culprits...

Common sense for me thinks that having the 2 OS's on the HDD with both needing different Drivers to run and control the Hardware , these Drivers may be conflicting.

I would suggest trying both OS's separately format the HDD and install XP for a week and use that as normal.
And then format it again and install Vista for a week and use that as normal and installing the appropriate Drivers for the OS's which i think you have mentioned in earlier posts.

It might take a while but try that and see if it's stable and you have no BSOD's

Well I havn't been mutlibooting since this has happened actually... I have been running Windows XP for about 2 weeks now, should I format and do Vista again? I just don't want to bother if there is NOTHING I can do... it's really annoying, I liked vista a lot... It ran fine for the time being... then I format one day and new drivers come out and this happens...

It just sucks with all the information provided NOBODY can help me out.

Well have you still had the BSOD's with XP?
If you've been running it for 2 weeks try Vista for a bit.

Also have some patience Route44 told you about this before on your other thread everyone on here are in essence Part-Timers coming on the website when they can, everyone on this site aren't experts or have some form of Magic to fix the computer instantly we give you advice on the problem and how we think you could fix it.
We're trying to help you over a forum it's a bit different than being there and seeing it ourself, by using these forums your open to more peoples ideas on how to fix problems and it increases your chances of fixing it yourself other than taking it to a local repair shop and having to pay to get it fixed and they can't guarantee if they can fix it. Some problems might not be solved thats just how it is.

mmm

I told you XP runs flawless, hence why I think it's a problem within vista... I have given all information needed and have received very little input that's my only problem, and it almost seems like people are skimming my threads instead of reading it because half the stuff people asked I've covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back