Problems after upgrading of service packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex2791

Ive had windows xp pro sp1 recently then i had upgraded it to sp2 via cd-rom.. the installation goes well but then after the last restart the system seemed to slow down in booting up that it would take about 30 min to finish. i viewed the cpu usage at the task manager and it seems not to be the one that i had before. i cant access all the programs for it hangs, some of the device drivers have been missing and i decided to go to the system restore, but then the restore points were cleared..they say its normal after such installation and may take up 3-4 days for some system files to be rebuilt and be stable. is it true?any suggestions to come through.?please.. i really need the help..

Can you get into Safe Mode? If so uninstall the service pack while in safe mode. In my experience it is always safer to install a service pack on a computer that has a fresh install of Windows.

thanks for the reply,, yes, i could get through via safe mode but then i cant find it in add remove programs.. i have tried to boot it in normal mode but with the selective startup of the msconfig then it goes well.. but with that the, drivers and services are not available so i just cant continue using it that way.. I had notice its really under msconfig but who wants load it diagnostically and then run through to start each of the services.. any suggestions?

Preparing a system for Windows XP SP2:

1. A system should be clean! Run AV and spyware/adware program, maybe even an online scan for each also.
2. Read as much as you can about what to check after a significant D/L like this. It was clearly stated that it would cause some changes in settings-so that would be the best to check right away.
3. Create your own System Restore Point before ANY update from MS. It is not uncommon for an update to cause some system problem.
4. Know what the update will bring to your system and what that means. In the case of SP2, the Windows firewall would be on by default. IF you have another firewall, make the decision right away which you want to run. Likely best choice will be other than Windows firewall as it only looks at incoming traffic, not outgoing.
5. If you have one of the Security Suites that are so common now, know what it has and does in order to prevent a conflict. Rule of Thumb: only 1 firewall, only 1 AV program, at least two spyware/adware programs.
6. Disabling the Windows firewall requires: bringing up the Security Center and clicking to stop the firewall and making sure the 'Windows Firewall' Service is disabled and stopped.

I had notice its really under msconfig but who wants load it diagnostically and then run through to start each of the services.. any suggestions?

When making changes to the Startup menu, you must remain in Selective Startup to keep those changes. After making the changes and rebooting, you will get a nag message about 'diagnostic mode'- CLOSE that message after checking 'don't show this message again;.

When you go to access Startup:
Start> Run> type in msconfig and enter. choose Selective Startup> Startup tab> Make changes and Apply> OK> Reboot

The issue is, that SP2 really has a lot of specific drivers and services that only work with that (and SP3) revision

I think it may be best to follow fastco's recommendation,

Backup (in Safe Mode if you need to)
And install Xp clean (ie remove the existing partition during install)
Then load SP2
The load SP3
Then load all your drivers
Then load all the normal stuff (Adobe; DirectX; Media Player....)
Then re-install any other programs you own (Printer; Office...)

That would be best, I feel

Isn't the question regarding SP2 only? Once the SP is uninstalled in Safe Mode, the recommendations for preparing the system for SP2 can be followed, the SP2 can be reinstalled. I would NOT recommend putting SP3 on a system now when SP2 was not previously installed. It is quite likely to overwhelm the system and troubleshooting will be next to impossible!

thanks for all of it.. somewhat i had it fixed,, i just updated the drivers and cleaned the system.. but sometimes it would really hang up or slow down.. probably what??not like when i had my sp1.. thanks for the help!!!Bobbye, kimsland,fastco..

Ok so you fixed by updating the drivers
But still some Programs (older installed programs on your computer) may still have conflicts
This again is why I mentioned to install Windows clean

Regarding the now "slowness" of SP2
This is a very common dissapointment of users who originally went from SP1 to SP2
SP2 has been given so much more to run (all the time) Including Security Center; Firewall; and many new system files (to name a few). Many users stated that due to this "slowness" of the new SP2 (at the time) they decided not to continue with its update.
What happened then, was many programs were developed only for SP2 (inline with MS) And users were forced to update, and eventually update their old slow computers (more Ram; and faster CPU)

Thankfully the introduction to SP3 was not as dramatic (being mainly all required SP2 updates) But I suspect that programs will inevitably be created just for SP3 (very similar to how Vista works with DirectX10)

My view (and definately MS view) is for you to update to SP3 (which will secure your system - uptodate)
But in saying that.. You may need to update your computer too!

You're welcome. Here are some basic suggestions for a slow computer:

1. I don't see a mention of your installed RAM, but to have Windows XP run well, it's best to have at least 512MB of RAM. The hard drive is where your programs 'live' and the RAM is what is utilized when you run those programs.

2. Stop everything on Startup except the firewall, antivirus program, touchpad for laptop and network process if on network.

3. Go to the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> Uninstall any programs you aren't using. If you have 'orphan entries'- entries on the left with no information on the right, run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove them:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

It's a small download to save to the desktop. Run from there to remove the files.

ah. i have a 1gb of ram..for it.. and i had followed your advice thanks.. its now quite faster,but some programs really takes time to starti cant seem to see the add remove programs in the control panel i think its with the enabling within services .msc so sometimes i have to use tuneup utility to remove them.. i had installed the windows cleaner but other programs listed are the ones that i am really using, , these are the ones that im not sure about : microsoft visual c runtime,webfolders xp, ms .NET framework are there unecessary for me??if i would remove them would they be reinstalled prior to the sp2 requirements or it would be the same? because the programs were installed before i updated to sp2..and i have some error when i try to run the chkdsk/f as it checks during the oot process it then displays that blue screen saying i should disable some software, hardware or get some updates for it..

See this Google page for information about the WebFolders XP. I cannot determine whether it or are other two are needed, so that means leave them for now.

Can you please clarify the problem with populating the Add/Remove Programs> Do them not load at all? What happens when you try to access> Message? What?

The Services in Windows XP can also be customized. Some need to be on Automatic, Some can be disabled and most can be set to Manual. Care must be taken when changing a Service startup and the Dependency tab must be checked. The Services will do a beautiful dance together if done right- if not, you will be in trouble. Here's a site that will help you customize:

http://www.ss64.com/ntsyntax/services.html

To access: Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Service>> Take you time doing this. It should take days, at least!

thanks..when i try to open it it views nothing.. i guess im now getting the system stable..just need some little things for improvement like updates.. any recomendations?I stil have that problem running chdsk/f it says "irql not less or equal".." ive tried to view the windows update page but i think it needs the active x control.. where can i find it?

to all of you,,
thanks for the help!..

You can try doing this to get the Add/Remove Program display back:
Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD> At the prompt, type REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL

Note the space after 32. There is a registry fix if this doesn't work, but let's hope it does.

For the Windows Update page problem, please give me the "exact" message you get when attempting access.

You should also keep in mind that you are still way behind in the Windows update. Once the system gets stable, you should get the SP3 update rather than trying to download all the updates since SP2. IF you have an AMD processor however, there could be problems.

the cpl succeded but still doesnt show up anything anyway,, i had uninstalled the programs via tuneup..was that ok?? mmm. i really have that problem running chkdsk in booting, it displays that IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.. i had installed sp3 before but it went very bad for me.. hehe i had the programs run verrrrrrrrrry. slow... as well as the boot process , it doesnt even show the desktop icons that why i decided to restore the previous..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back