Problems Booting from a SATA partition copied from an IDE partition

By whitewolf32
Aug 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been running with a SATA 200GB drive for about 6 months or more as a secondary drive with a much smaller (80gb) IDE drive as my primary..

I left an 85GB partition free on my SATA drive to copy my primary drive C (IDE partition) to when I was ready to deal with it.

I used partition magic 8.0 to copy my drive C to my unallocated space. When I set up the copy sequence in PM it says "warning drive may not be bootable", Proceed or cancel. I do proceed.

I remove my IDE drives, and even removed my DVD writer drive. (power from all of them.)

When I power on, just as PM had said, it says please insert a boot diskette.

I've considerred reinstalling windows, but according to other forums and discussions I would then need a floppy with MB SATA drivers and I don't have a floppy drive, and hate to get one just for this one operation. If I boot into windows after everything has been copied via PM, everything is there on the SATA drive, a mirror image of my drive C. But, I can't boot off of it.

My guess is the master boot record (mbr), needs to be created or made active or something. (yes I made the new partition active, no difference.)

Is this a boot issue due to windows xp MBR (or something else windows xp related) or is this a boot issue due to trying to boot off of a SATA drive?

Lastly, Is it an absolute requirement that I have to reinstall windows using a floppy and mb drivers to load the sata drive and go through that whole process. I used PM b/c I DON'T want to reinstall windows..

I have the ASUS KV8 Deluxe 64bit board with an AMD 3000 64bit CPU. I have tried disabling IDE in the bios, no change. The final wrench in all this, is after I'm done, I would like to still have my IDE drive as a slave or secondary master. Is this a possibility or does SATA operate mutually exclusively of IDE hard drives?

But the answer I need the most is, how do I get my SATA hard drive to boot now that I have my primary partition copied to it? (I still have the original, but want to do away with that once and only if I have everything working for a few days with my SATA drive as primary).

Please let me know what I can do to get around having to reinstall windows xp.

Thanks much in advance!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.