TechSpot

Problems Booting/Reinstalling Win XP

?

Fixing the Problem

Poll closed May 18, 2005.
  1. Did I follow a half decent procedure to cure?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Was there an easier way?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
By Boriszuzu
May 15, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

I could use some advice from you.

I had a call from my friend saying that his pc wasn't booting up. So I had a look and the fault was Stop: c0000221 unknown Hard Error\System Root\System32\ntdll.dll.
    I used a live Windows, UBCD for Windows, and recovered important files and decided to reinstall win. I used the Microsoft 6 floppys, reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled. I reinstalled all the sound, motherboard etc drivers and walked away from a fully functioning system.

2 days later I get a call, same problem. I set about with the 6 floppy's again, while on the 6th, same problem, blue screen of death. I decided on a different tack, one that I had successfully used before. I reformatted the HDD again and installed Win98SE, hoping to install XP as an upgrade. Win 98 was installed without a problem and inserted the XP disc. Installation was going fine until it had to restart, same ntldll.dll problem. By this time I was doing a fantastic impression of a mongrel with rabies.

I started again with the 6 Microsoft Floppy's, reformatted and started to reinstall, again after a restart, the same problem. Now I started barking and growling at the screen and lifted my leg against the base unit.

I can understand why possibly the ntldll.dll got corrupted after installing the other drivers, but why during an upgrade or clean install?

I hope someone can help, if not maybe you could take me for a walk in the park on a leash.

Thank you in advance.

Boriszuzu
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Try copying the whole CD onto a different partition or HD in that PC.
    Then copy a working ntldll.dll from a working system (or a 'packed' version from someone else's XP-CD) into the i386 folder. Install from HD, using x:\i386\winnt.exe

Alternatively slipstream SP2 into XP and burn a fresh XP-CD
  3. Boriszuzu

Boriszuzu TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi,

Yeah the cd I used was a slipstreamed SP2, posssibly a bad burn?
  4. Boriszuzu

Boriszuzu TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry,

I sent the last message without adding this.

A bad burn wouldn't explain why the system had the same problem before I reformatted and reinstalled.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.