Problems Booting/Reinstalling Win XP

Fixing the Problem

• Did I follow a half decent procedure to cure?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Was there an easier way?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I could use some advice from you.

I had a call from my friend saying that his pc wasn't booting up. So I had a look and the fault was Stop: c0000221 unknown Hard Error\System Root\System32\ntdll.dll.
I used a live Windows, UBCD for Windows, and recovered important files and decided to reinstall win. I used the Microsoft 6 floppys, reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled. I reinstalled all the sound, motherboard etc drivers and walked away from a fully functioning system.

2 days later I get a call, same problem. I set about with the 6 floppy's again, while on the 6th, same problem, blue screen of death. I decided on a different tack, one that I had successfully used before. I reformatted the HDD again and installed Win98SE, hoping to install XP as an upgrade. Win 98 was installed without a problem and inserted the XP disc. Installation was going fine until it had to restart, same ntldll.dll problem. By this time I was doing a fantastic impression of a mongrel with rabies.

I started again with the 6 Microsoft Floppy's, reformatted and started to reinstall, again after a restart, the same problem. Now I started barking and growling at the screen and lifted my leg against the base unit.

I can understand why possibly the ntldll.dll got corrupted after installing the other drivers, but why during an upgrade or clean install?

I hope someone can help, if not maybe you could take me for a walk in the park on a leash.

Thank you in advance.

Boriszuzu

Try copying the whole CD onto a different partition or HD in that PC.
Then copy a working ntldll.dll from a working system (or a 'packed' version from someone else's XP-CD) into the i386 folder. Install from HD, using x:\i386\winnt.exe

Alternatively slipstream SP2 into XP and burn a fresh XP-CD

Sorry,

I sent the last message without adding this.

A bad burn wouldn't explain why the system had the same problem before I reformatted and reinstalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back