Problems Deleting Folder

By KT45
Feb 14, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I seem to be having some kind of problem and I could sure use some help. I recently upgraded to Vista from WinXP. I had the same problem then as I do now. And that is, I have a folder that shows up in windows explorer that I cannot delete. There is nothing in the folder to delete. I even turned on the show all system files. When I click on the folder I get c:\x\xx refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, etc. I am logged on as administrator. I have even searched for the folder in Registry and nothing found. Thanks
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Have you tried deleting the folder from safe mode?

Maybe you should give this utility a try.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. KT45

KT45 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Tried that and no luck. But since my post, I d/l a utility called delete invalid file and it worked without any problems. Thanks.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

That`s good news and thanks for letting us know. Any chance of a link to the utility you used?

Regards Howard :)
  5. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav Newcomer, in training Posts: 190

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I might have recommended chkdsk. This could be a file system issue.
    • Start > Run
    • Type chkdsk /f
    • *If your problem is with another drive other than C:, you can specify the drive letter like so chkdsk D: /f
    • Key [Enter]
    • A black screen will appear that asks you if you'd like to run chkdsk upon your next restart.
    • Type Y
    • Key [Enter]
    • Restart your computer.
    With any luck, chkdsk will fun a full check of your file system and fix whatever file system issue may be responsible... if this is indeed a fs issue.
  7. geekygirl63

geekygirl63 Newcomer, in training Posts: 70

Oops - Didnt see the solution
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.