TechSpot

Problems getting Red Alert 3 to run on Vista 64

By Hoopey
Sep 11, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yesterday i bought and installed Red Alert 3 on to my Mesh computer.
    The computer is running Vista 64bit. The programme loaded ok but when i came to start it i got the following error message:-

Application failed to start d3dx9_35.dll not found.

Today i took the game back to GAME and told the man what i had found. He sais it was a graphics card conflict. He did however also give me a replacement game. ( which makes me suspicious as to whether he really knew what he was talking about.)

Can anybody help with this problem. My search through the internet confirms that Red Alert 3 will run on vista 64 bit.

I have also been told that this problem may be caused by loading DIRECTX 9. Ihave tried this but have encountered the following problem:-

When i run the dx set up the following happens:-

A welcome screen tells me " welcome to dx setup" i then accept the terms and conditions etc.

The programme then tells me that it is " installing components".

Then " initializing".

Then "copying files"

Then i get a message telling me that " microsoft directx set up has stopped working"

I also get this if i attempt to load the same programme supplied on the gaming disk i'm trying to run on the computer.

My system is an AMD Phenom II 945 with a 1TB hard drive, ATI Radeon HD4550 graphics card + 512mb onboard ATI radeon HD 3200 GPU. The operating system is vista home 64 bit. I have updated all the video drivers using the ATI ctalyst control centre.

I hope someone can shed some light on this as i'm getting rather frustrated going around in circles trying to get the RED ALERT 3 game to run.

Thanks in advance

Huw
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.