Problems installing OS on new hard drive

pne andy

hi guys, i am having hard drive problems, my old hard drive was corrupt so bought a new one today (sata) and conected it up. firstly i tried to install vista home premium, the disk loaded fine and i chose my language and accepted licence agreement etc. then on the screen 'where do you want to install windows?' there was no drive found.
i then tried xp home sp3 again disk loaded fine, accepted licence agree ment etc. then on the existing partitions screen screen has a box at bottom saying
unknown disk
(there is no disk in this drive)
this message is repeated 4 times i presume one for each hd slot.
whilst on this screen no matter what key is pressed i get the BSOD with
stop:eek:xoooooo5o
page_fault_in_non_paged_area
i checked in the bios ande the drive is recognised.
please help its now doing my head in after 3 days

You say the drive is recognised in the bios. Would you do that again and tell us exactly what it says? Have you plugged the sata drive into the same motherboard connector that your original drive was in?

Also note XP does not have any drivers for SATA channels. Not sure about Vista. In the case of XP, you normally have to introduce SATA drivers very early in the install process (off a floppy disk, no less). More modern motherboards have a setting for SATA channels to make them behave as ATA channels at least during OS installation. Maybe your problem is in this area.

You should research using keys like 'install XP on SATA drive'

hi gbhall, thanks for getting back.
sorry if i caused confusion about bios (i only have limited knowlage and get mixed up)
if i go to cmos setup utility and go into standard cmos features the hd is recognised on line
>ide channel 2 slave [wdc wd3000js-63pdbi]
if i highlight and hit enter for detail hd settings i get
extended ide drive [auto]
access mode [auto]
capacity 300gb

when changing the drive no mobo cables where touched just pulled the two out of the hd
i am using a gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 mobo if this means anything
you say about installing drivers, is this for the mobo or for the hd? and is there any other way of installing like usb as i have no floppy drive

The drivers are for the motherboard, but avoiding the use of a floppy drive to install them is not simple.

Far better to look in the bios for a way to disable the native SATA setting for the HDD
Go to bios, advanced system configuration, sata settings, change ACHI to ATA (or IDE) and xp pro installs with no extras.

ACHI and ATA may not be the only options. Other possibilities for the SATA channel may be 'compatibility' or 'disable' or 'non-raid' or 'disable SATA AHCI mode'

If what to do is not obvious, google for 'install xp on sata drive' where loads of people have solved your problem because every motherboard seems to describe this change in different ways.

Here is a link to your motherboard manual http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ma69vm-s2_e.pdf On page 63 on it describes how to install XP using a floppy disk (your PC has a floppy disk connector). You could find a floppy drive in a spares shop, junk shop, computer fair etc., even borrow one from a friend.

Failing to find a floppy drive, try setting the bios as described page 36, but take the onchip sata type 'legacy IDE' if it is currently set to 'native IDE' and you cannot see the HDD. If it is currently set to AHCI mode, you know your original OS had SATA drivers installed as descibed on page 63 and you will get best performance by doing the same. But you could also try 'native IDE' if it is currently AHCI mode.

finally i got it sorted today :D
first of all i tried going down the bios route and had no joy, i either got the same message or no hdd was detected so i downloaded the driver to flash memory card but when it came to installing the driver it wouldnt detect it. i managed to get an external usb floppy drive again when it came to installing the driver it wouldnt detect it. so that was that i hade decided to give up and send it to a shop to see if they had any joy. i took the new hdd back to the shop and expected to be fobbed off with some excuse about being used so no refund or something. but he was quite helpful and said he had had the same problem before with a wd drive and give me a seagete baracuda 7200 to try. i wasnt expecting anythind differant with this new drive however i tried installing the os, not a problem was had no need for a driver or bios change at all.
i have no idea weather it was a fault in the drive or a compatibility issue or what but the wd hdd worked fine as an external drive when i tried it in a dock
i would just like to thank you for all your help it was much appriciated

well that's good for you, and a surprise for me! Would you mind a quick peek into the bios to see what the setting actually is for 'onchip sata type' as that would be useful info. Ta

sorry i took so long getting back to you. as it turned out it was a faultu hdd, i took it back to the shop and they did some tests on is an said it was truly banjaxed.
the onchip sata type is native ide. hope this is some use to you and thanks again for all your help.

Back