TechSpot

Problems on Asus A8V with 5.1 sound - rear volume poor.

By Mark T
Dec 15, 2004
  1. Hi,

I have a set of Zalman Surround sound Headphones that support 5.1 These worked well on my Shuttle but not on this Asus board.

I cannot get the volume of the rear speaker up. I have updated the Realtek AC'97 drivers. I have also dropped the front and side channel volume, leaving rear on max then upping the overall volume still not much joy.

When playing HL2 I almost have to be facing something to hear stuff.

there are 4 ports Rear, Side, Centre and Front. I’m connected to Rear, Centre and front ( the manual mentions this for 6 channel support, side is only for 8 channel ). Windows config is set to 5.1, the realtek app sets to 6 channel. HL2 and CS:S set to 5.1. The headphones have 3 jacks Rear, centre and front.

Thoughts ?

2. hangintite68

hangintite68 TS Rookie Posts: 27

I would probably think about getting a new sound card. I have an asus board, and the sound jus isn't as good as it can be. you also might want to try different configurations. they might have it set at a different setting. and also is your headphones any good? if you do go with sound, go with creative. unsurpassed sound at an incredible price!

"from a person's perspective"

3. Marble

Marble TS Rookie

Crappy integrated sound solutions from Asus

I've just bought the Asus A8N-E board with 8 channel sound, and it has the same problem with the Zalman 5.1 head phones - the jacks apparantly dont output enough voltage for the rear and centre speakers! (which equates to poor / extremely quiet playback).

See http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/497/ for some good info.
    (Might put you off 5.1 headphones though....)

You could buy a pre-amplifier - but for the price you're better off getting and audigy2 sound card i imagine (note - i haven't tested this myself).

Darn it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.