Problems re-installing Media Center 2005 on new Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJShoreguy

I had an issue with a major hard drive failure that prompted me to do a clean install of my legit copy of Windows Media Center 2005 OEM on a hard drive that I scrubbed clean with Drive Scrubber.

The first Disc gets as far as loading all the drivers, reformatting the drive as NTFS, etc. Then it says installation will continue after the computer reboots.

However, once it does reboot, it goes back to the "Checking your Configuration" screen and loading drivers, all the way thru to "Press F8 if you agree to the terms" screen. Then you get the screen that now shows the newly formatted drive.

The only options you have are to repair, install or quit. If I click on install, it gives you the message about installing a version over an existing copy and possible problems.

Clicking on Repair didn't take me anywhere where I could fix the problem, so I opted to scrub the drive yet again (3rd time now).

I checked my disc to make sure it wasn't scratched, dirty, etc, and it is clean. The hard drive has been check with chkdsk and shows no errors.

Anyone have any suggestions what I might be doing wrong or how to make this work? I'm doing the clean install on an IDE drive. The motherboard is my Chaintech S1689. AMD 64 4800 Dual Core processor. 2 gigs of PC3200 400 CL2 DDR ram installed.

Thanks,

Dave

Is your Media Center Edition Service Pack 1 or 2? By OEM, do you mean Microsoft, Dell, Sony, or HP which all have their own versions

It isn't even SP1. I bought an OEM version from online at Tiger Direct. Wasn't for any particular mobo/vendor.

It's just the original 3 CD set, the last being the Updates Disc.

Whose OEM version is it? Microsoft, Dell, HP, or Sony?
What image is on the front of the disk?\
If it is not for your computer, you still need to install all the drivers for your computer for Windows XP... audio device, video graphics device, chipset, ethernet... unless the disk was specifically setup for your brand and model of computer.

"Whose OEM version is it? Microsoft, Dell, HP, or Sony?
What image is on the front of the disk?\
If it is not for your computer, you still need to install all the drivers for your computer for Windows XP... audio device, video graphics device, chipset, ethernet... unless the disk was specifically setup for your brand and model of computer."

I would have to say it's Microsoft's version. There is nothing on the front of the disk indicating Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc. Just says the standard "For distribution with a new PC only. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC"

Please understand, I was able to install this on my original hard drive which has gone South with no problems a few years ago.

No hardware in my computer has changed. Same Motherboard, etc. The only change actually, would be the processor which I upgraded over a year ago to a AMD Athlon 64 4800 Dual Core. But the bios were flashed for that.

Otherwise, pretty much the same configuration.

Well, after much aggravation I discovered that the reason the drive kept going to the beginning had to do with a misplaced jumper that was set on "Cable Select" and not Single Master. Was finally able to make it work.

Chalk it up to an ***** moment.

Thanks tho for any assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back