Problems restoring Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop XP Professional

My laptop was working fine last summer until the Windows Genuine Advantage kept popping up telling me it wanted to verify if my OS was valid. I tried to shut it down or disable it and windows started to behave strangely to the point that it would not load at all. I purchased the laptop in December 2008 from Micro Center in Houston brand new. I have the sticker on the laptop that tells me the OS is valid.

Lenovo did not ship with the rescue and recovery disks, instead it has a rescue partition. The rescue partition would not restore the laptop. So I tried the rescue and recovery DVD I created. Somehow it did not create the product recovery CDs. When I called Lenovo about this problem, they belittled me and then charged me $50 for the set of Product CDs. I thought my troubles were over, wrong!

After installing the CDs windows almost loaded and then it went to the blue screen of death. This happened a few times. I tried reinstalling the disks and everytime I would receive a different error message, it is missing drivers, it can't locate a file, etc.

Today it returned:
The application or DLL X:minint\system32\umpnpmgr.dll is not a valid Windows image, Please check this against your installation diskette.

Product Recovery could not find file Z:\UBREC.CMD

I called Lenovo and again, no help. I am at a loss. My laptop was fine until the Microsoft Genuine Advantage pop-up kept showing up. And Lenovo is not providing any support for the faulty CDs they sold me.

Can someone help me?

I don't think XP is sold any longer, but if you can find an XP install disc, you can use it to delete the old partition(s) and freshly format the hard drive and install XP correctly

Back