Problems running Check disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vavash

Hello, i'm new to the forms, and was hoping someone could help me out with my problem.

I first found it out when i tried to run Defrag i got an error message saying
" Disk defragmentter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (C: ).
Please run Chkdsk /f. "
When i tried to run Chkdsk /f I got this error message
"The disk check coululd not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some windows files on the Disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart?"

And when i ran the chkdsk in the command prompt i got this message
"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the net time the system restarts y/n"
In Both cases the chkdsk did not run upon restart

I've tried to run both chkdsk and the defrag in safe mode, and both would not work, including the running chkdsk when restarted.

And I'm not sure if this is related but i have a file that is "corrupted and unreadable" the file is C:\WINDOWS\$N44E4~1.SH!\fltmgr.sys and cannot delete or repair it.

real quick about my computer. its a dell inspiron E1505 running windows xp media center edition with service pack 3. I have two hard drives my main drive C: and my back up drive D:
note, I don't have problems running defrag or check disk on the D: drive. Only on the C: drive

Thanks for taking your time to read this, and if you have any ideas what i can do to solve this problem

-Chris

Thanks for the quick responce.

I should have added the actual message in from the begining, but when i run chkdsk in command prompt i get this message

"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the net time the system restarts y/n"

i went ahead and hit Y, and upon restart tried "chkntfs /d" and the comand prompt opened up for less than a second and dissapeared. I ran chkdsk /f c: again with the same results

no luck :

I did the first two steps, both times the cmd came up for a moment and went away. I still get the Chkdsk is scheduled to run when i try to run defrag. And finaly trying to run chkdsk /f again i still get the cannot lock message, and it doesn't run on startup

I downloaded it, and added the "disable chkdsk" to the registry, and it said it was successfull, but after a restart i still get all the same messages

Still i appreciate the help, sorry my computer is being stubborn.

Ok I just spent a few more mins on this, and this time for sure :grinthumb I hope !

If you have Spybots S&D installed -> Uninstall it
Actually also Spyware Doctor (Uninstall)

Then have a look at:

UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Meaning create a New Thread in Virus & Malware removal once you have the logs to be attached

Pretty sure I got it this time ;)

Oh and you can read this recent thread on deciding on AntiVirus too (I liked my last post in the thread personally ;)) https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic126724.html

Edit:

Found another helpful post too

Open Regedit and modify this (if absent): go to strat>run and type regedit then go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\
CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
AutoChkTimeOut
DWORD = 0

Or modify this if the value is different:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
BootExecute
REG_Multi_SZ = autocheck autochk *

question on your edit. the first value was the same. so on the boot execute, do i delete all the old value data? or do i add a new line?
the current value data looks like this

autocheck autochk /p \??\C:
lsdelete
autocheck autochk *

I'm currently going through all the steps for the malware, and will take a little bit.
also i did like your post, and will have to check out Avira when my subscription to mcafee runs out :)

edit:
No luck with the reg

and will have to check out Avira when my subscription to mcafee runs out :)

edit:
No luck with the reg
Good idea you have on checking out free Avira
By the way when you do decide to remove Mcafee make sure you also run the McAfee Removal Tool
Otherwise it will still be running, it tends to have about 5 or 6 processes starting with your computer, slowing it down. So I would definitely like to hear about your opinion on Avira (when you install it) especially after you have done your first full updated scan ;)

Regarding running through the logs, thank-you please keep going
Create a New Thread if you require your logs to be checked (as advised)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back