Problems running Oblivion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I know this game is really old, but for the first time in my life I have a pretty decent computer so I've decided to buy every game I couldn't play before, Oblivion happens to be one of them, now:

AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 3600+
1.91 GHz, 3.37 GB of RAM

I'm no expert, but I think I should be able to run Oblivion with this, but when I press Play it opens the oblivion window, it goes black and then flashes and closes and it gives me the message asking whether I want report this error or not. I would really appreciate it if somebody helped me sort this out, I'va been wanting to play this game for years! Thanks!

You didn't tell us what kind of video card you have in this machine - the most important part when talking about games. Try entering that info in your profile.

Sorry, could you explain what a discrete card is? Thank you

Before going to buy a new video card, please check if your monitor connects to the motherboard. If it is plugged directly into the motherboard, it means you have an "integrated" video card. In other words, the graphics processor is set directly on the motherboard and, typically, shares system memory. It is a cost effective setup that allows you to do most of the basic things like surfing the net and working in word processor. A discrete card is a separate device that you need to plug into your motherboard and does not share the memory with the motherboard. It is, typically, more productive solution.

Judging by the Oblivion system requirements, your card GeForce 6150 is below the system requirements of the game. It is not unheard of to run the game on the equipment below the requirements, but it's ill advised. First, check if you have the latest graphics drivers, see if the game runs after installing those. If not, you will, probably, need a new video card. Check the compatibility list for Oblivion and you can score a fairly cheap one to run your games while not breaking your bank. I recommend Tom's Hardware web-site for reviews on the video cards. They do those monthly and put the into several price brackets to fit different budgets.

What's the brand and model of your computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back